BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see that you can get headers without the cat. I presume you will need to do something with the ECU. Does anyone offer a flash for the 2021 RT? or are there other options?

Craig

·
Registered
14 Posts
"When I go, I want to go like dear old grandpa...asleep at the wheel with everyone else in the car screaming!!"

Your tag line... A bit scary for the rest of us don't you think!

My family meets every year at my Birthday party, I am 76, and they vote on "When do we take Dads motorcycle keys away." At first thought is was cute, now its no longer funny.
They don't know I have an extra set of keys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using that signature for the last 10 years. I have received a few comments...and your is the first negative one. It just amazes me how people think that they can say what ever, when ever, where ever, and to whom ever they want.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Why do you want to get rid of the cat, on modern engines the exhaust is tuned to extract exhaust gases and changing the exhaust may actually reduce power slightly, modern engines produce a lot of power because the intake, exhaust, valving and the shape of the top of the piston are all engineered to work together efficiently.
They keep increasing power and mpg keeps going up at the same time simply because of efficiency at extracting energy from fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. You are right. I will keep my comments strictly about RT's on this discussion board. I glean a lot of value off this site.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not much help to you right now but I have a full Akro system waiting to be fitted by my dealer before my bike is delivered to me. The consensus seems to be that the most recent ECU can adjust well enough to handle the more free flowing nature of the exhaust and produce a minor improvement in power / torque.
Once I have the bike I plan on taking it to be tuned on a dyno. Then I should have more info to share, whether a Power Commander or ECU flash is used.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Cannot find posts at the moment but other fellas have put aftermarket gizmos on BMW motorcycles and the ecu will adjust to them and readjust to meet the emissions it puts out stock

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep. Something along the lines of a Booster Plug will get adapted to within 2 or 3 tanks worth of fuel so pretty pointless to go down that particular route. Been there - not going there again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea...was just wondering. On my S1000RR, going the route of pipes, exhaust and flash, really woke up the bike. Obviously the R is a totally different type of bike. Akrapovic makes a titanium slip on, so it only made sense to get the titanium headers....but????

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. You are right. I will keep my comments strictly about RT's on this discussion board. I glean a lot of value off this site.
And I didn't mean to be such a dick...I have had a few rough days...no excuse to take it out on you!

Reactions: CWRoady

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey c’mon you guys - this is no place to be mature and grown up! Get that argument going!

It’ll be interesting to see what effect tuning the system has on the bike. Obviously I’m not interested so much in gains at the top end as mid range and rideablity. I bought it just because it came up near me and I thought “why not?” The Akropovic dyno chart shows it smoothing out the peaks and troughs without a tune but I know how much better the boxer engine can be just by fitting an AF-xied.
I know there’s a Brentune flash available but I can’t see a Power Commander online that’s suitable for the Euro 5 1250 engine.

·
Registered
'21 RT
27 Posts
"When I go, I want to go like dear old grandpa...asleep at the wheel with everyone else in the car screaming!!"

Your tag line... A bit scary for the rest of us don't you think!

My family meets every year at my Birthday party, I am 76, and they vote on "When do we take Dads motorcycle keys away." At first thought is was cute, now its no longer funny.
They don't know I have an extra set of keys.
Right before they do I’ll take my 220hp Ape to the track and try traction control (TC) setting of “-“ with race slicks. Will be a better way to go than having breakfast in a retirement home, eating crap waffles as the mouth gaper next to me shits his diaper.

·
Registered
'21 RT
27 Posts
Hey c’mon you guys - this is no place to be mature and grown up! Get that argument going!

It’ll be interesting to see what effect tuning the system has on the bike. Obviously I’m not interested so much in gains at the top end as mid range and rideablity. I bought it just because it came up near me and I thought “why not?” The Akropovic dyno chart shows it smoothing out the peaks and troughs without a tune but I know how much better the boxer engine can be just by fitting an AF-xied.
I know there’s a Brentune flash available but I can’t see a Power Commander online that’s suitable for the Euro 5 1250 engine.
With a pax the bike is a wheelie machine in first and second as it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As long as you just change the exhaust it should be fine. Going to a K&N air filter too might cause some problems. Ultimately using a fuel controller would bring tuning flexibility (a good thing) you may or may not want to fool with. Change the total exhaust ( hopefully with a db killer) and I bet it’ll run fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts