BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my bike back tomorrow from the 600 mile service. The manual says to vary rpm's and not to go over 4000 rpm for the first 600 miles, and after that you can increase the rpm's, but they don't say how much. I assume they dont want you to redline it but not sure where i can take it to. What do you think? Also can I take it on the highway yet and not have to worry about steady speeds any longer?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ride it like you stole it. Don't worry about it anymore and ride. The governor will kick in before read line.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
I still varied my speed and gradually increased the top RPM level as I progressed my way up to 1,000 miles. Then I just hammered it. I have 50K on it now and no issues.

I did break in my new GS a bit differently with hard acceleration/deacceleration but stayed below the RPM limits during the first 25 miles, then I just rode it normal IAW the recommended break in by BMW. Very little oil usage on the R.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I drove it a bit harder after the 600 mile I now have 3K on it and have only once taken it past 7K. I would say enjoy it but don't abuse it and everything will be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Took my LT out and ran it, easy at first up to 4k.. a "roll on" to 1/2 throttle then used engine and brake deceleration to slow.. then roll back up again... in first gear... after about 2 miles of this, I started using second gear for 3 miles... speed up, slow down.

I went up to 4th gear then 5th for a "cruise"... to cool things off for 2 miles, .... then work my way down to first again... by that time the bike was at "operating temp"...

Next, I rolled on Full Throttle" up to 5k, then rolled off for 1-5th gear.

I did this on the a back road...of course.

This was done for 20 miles .. speed up, slow down. After that, I just rode it...

I'm at 32k now and it's just getting better!

I've broken many motors in like this.. and it works for the gears, brakes, etc, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts