BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
You can find a filter that fits at any auto parts store or even wal-mart, but I strongly recommend using the OEM- or equivalent filters available at the dealers or from Beemer boneyard.

This is a pet peeve of mine. As simple as I can make it... there are two main reasons to use OEM.

1) the BMW filter was designed to meet BMW engine tolerances. The engineers know what they want. The others are designed to fit a broad spectrum of some other tolerances... but none conform to what the designers want except the OEM.

2) All the aftermarket filters I have knowledge of are taller than the OEM... meaning once you screw that sucker into the motor it hangs down lower than the factory designed filter and in-fact below the bottom of the crankcase.

Sure, you can save a few bucks... but... aw shucks... its your bike... go ahead and use anything that fits.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is what I've been told are comparable oil filters for my 2011 RT. I hope this helps.
Bosch 3330
Mobil 1 M1-102
Purolator L10241
Wix 51348

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you feel the need to further enrich your dealer by paying their ridiculous price for the BMW filter, by all means have at it. Otherwise order the Mann filters from Beemer Boneyard, they're functionally identical and an OEM supplier.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm with Hopz, as usual. An extra $10 for an OEM filter every six months or so isn't going to break my bank. I have more important things to worry about.

JayJay

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
K&N.
No "Special" filter wrench needed.
I put a small magnet on the side of the filter to catch any metal flakes(not that I want any).
Trying to rid the saying of Bring Major Wad, etc. :bmw:

·
Registered
362 Posts
OU812 said:
K&N.
No "Special" filter wrench needed.
I put a small magnet on the side of the filter to catch any metal flakes(not that I want any).
Trying to rid the saying of Bring Major Wad, etc. :bmw:

I prefer to tell folks it means Big Meat Wand :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well, at the risk of starting another o*l thread, not to mention being thought irreverent (mois?), I think there are some similarities:

O*l: enough o*l beats insufficient o*l
Filter: any filter beats no filter

O*l: clean o*l beats dirty o*l
Filter: new filter beats old filter

After that: synthetic vs. dino, OEM vs. aftermarket, how often you change both - do what makes you comfortable, there are probably multiple right answers. And certainly no end of opinions on what those right answers are.

JayJay

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ride approx 3k miles a month and didn't want to keep changing oil every other month. So I switched to mobile 1 oil with mobile 1 102 filter that works for 15k miles. I love the improved performance :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use HIFLO filters. HF 164
hiflo.com

I was told that they are made to bmw specs,
and no they are not taller. Same filter wrench
and everything. In fact it says right on the box,
"Type tested and production monitored to meet or
exceed OE specifications".

I bought a case from the guy that does the heavy
work on my bike. I believe it came out to about
$10 per.

I got nothing to complain about them.
Though I don't know what I would be looking for.

I'm running Castrol full syn now and plan on doing
changes around 4-5k.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Here are some others...

Oil Filter equivalents
BMW - 11 42 7 673 541
Walmart - ST3614
Bosch - 3330
Advance AutoParts AA3614

WIX oil filter #57936
HiFloFiltro oil HF164 www.hiflofiltro.com
K&N oil filter, KN-164
Mahle OC 306
Purolator PL 10241

This data comes from another forum.

There is a long article there, written by a gentleman who tests oil filters and other parts as a profession. He is an engineer. His position is that he has worked directly with many engine designers and he cites many examples of designers specifying certain filter performance factors for the engine they are designing. In other words The filter is designed to meet the specs of the motor.

Some "equivalent" filters are designed to fit a broad spectrum of autos and motorcycles... and are designed to work on a broad range in order to be commercially viable to as many engines as possible, but are not designed to meet the engine designer's specifications of specific engines.

Some "high performance" filters are designed to inhibit oil flow as little as possible and are marketed as "high performance" for the engine rather than performing well as filters. ( high performance Air Filters are even worse. Some use an oil bath charging system that may or may not be done competently by the owner. Even if done as specified they are designed to inhibit the air flow to the very lowest standard- meaning more air is better and it does not matter if it is dirty)

For the record, I do not have a dog in this fight. You should use any filter you want. I personally do not mind the extra expense of buying an OEM filter. Over the life of the bike I believe it will do the best job for me and $50/60 bucks over the engine's life is trivial for a $18k bike.

Do as you wish but at least think about your decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Auto Parts store had the Mobil 1-102 filter but it is much longer than the BMW filter now on it. That would stick down pretty far.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I buy the Mann from Beemer Bone Yard. Purolator makes good filters as does Bosch, but I don't know the form factor of those. With the Mann, BBY sends a washer for the drain plug too.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Ponch said:
Purolator makes good filters.....
For the record... I am not saying the other filters are not good. In-fact they may be exceptionally good... but they also may not be what the engine designer wanted... just say'n.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
hopz said:
For the record... I am not saying the other filters are not good. In-fact they may be exceptionally good... but they also may not be what the engine designer wanted... just say'n.
The problem with designers and engineers is that it's not always a purely functional exercise. There are constraints based on looks, on regulations (emissions), and performance requirements. They can step on each other and I would expect they often do at some point. With the regards to the oil filter, they may have had design specs such that they wanted a certain amount of ground clearance. I think they could have designed it for a larger filter, but they didn't. On the other hand, the GSA has a skid plate, no? I wonder if the longer filters fit under it? When I owned Kawasakis, I used Bosch filters, which were $4-5 versus the $12-15 Kawasaki filter and I never had a problem. You are right about the filter being on the bottom etc, but I wouldn't say they didn't have options when they designed the bike.

I wonder where the filter is on the R1250?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Some of you guys have not heard that "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider". :rotf: Motorcycle riding is not cheaper mile for mile than a small car. Maintain your bike and it will take care of you (hopefully). Tires on my K bike now run 10 cents a mile and I change them myself. Add gas at about 10 cents also, then insurance and maintenance not to mention depreciation it all adds up. An interesting thing in my old profession of Marine Engineering required that OEM parts be used for maintenance and rebuild work unless a compelling reason could be documented. This came out of SMS, international SOLAS safety stuff describing how a ship must be operated. My employer tried junk stuff and it always showed up down the line as false economy. Kind of off the path from what we are talking about but I like to keep everything first tier on a vehicle that can take my life in a blink.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I use the Mann and don't worry about it. The things I won't chince on are tires. I cringe when my cruiser friends get Shinko's or some other off brand or worse, a car tire (don't get me started). With maintenance fluids, I like Mobil and Castrol products. All meet the specs. So far so good. After those things, there is little else to worry about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Snoopy said:
The Auto Parts store had the Mobil 1-102 filter but it is much longer than the BMW filter now on it. That would stick down pretty far.
On my LT, it seems to fit just fine. Its slightly longer than the OEM filter, but I surely needed the 15K change time that its designed for since the oil I used was the mobile 1 extended range fully synthetic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts