BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought me a Darien Light for my birthday (what a wife). I rode home from Moonshine today in a torrential downpour. I'm disappointed in that my shirt was soaked down the front. I think the water was entering via the collar or perhaps the zipper. I spoke with Aerostich the minute I got home, they recommended rolling the collar and if that doesn't work to mail it back to them and they will check the zipper.

Anybody else have any leakage on their Darien or Darien light?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've had an Aerostich Darien for 4 years this month. I wear it exclusively about 6 months out of the year, and the other months when it rains. I switch to a mesh jacket when it's above 75 or so, and no chance of rain.

In a light-to-moderate rain I do nothing different, wearing the Aerostich as I always do. In a very heavy rain I stand the jacket collar up and close the throat area with the velcro flap, and ensure the vents are closed.

If you don't stand the collar up, water can roll down your helmet and then down the collar of your jacket.

IIRC, the Darien Light is made the same as the Darien - just lighter-weight fabric.

I've never experiened the problem you described. Were the jacket vents open?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I've worn a regular Darien for the past 7 years, and have been dry with the noted exception that water may drip off the helmet and make its way inside the collar. I usually wear a Buff or an Aerostich triangle around my neck if it looks wet. But even on my GS with its mini fairing I've never had the zipper leak. Did you get the front zipper flap securely velcro'd closed?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I was all snug up tight, all velcro was attached and all zippers were closed. I think it's dripping down the collar.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have had a darien for 7 years. I live in Florida and have torrential down pours and was sure i was wet. get home and nothing. Send it back and have them check everything or send you a new one. their customer service is great, you wont have issues with them. Last time I sent mine in I had them add velcro to the top portion of the collar, which is easier to use with gloves.

Zeke

·
Registered
419 Posts
So what's the average temperature range possible when wearing the Darien Light jacket. If your closing all the vents for rain in warm weather does that make it unbearably hot.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I wear a regular darien year round in south florida. Its HOT over 90 and anything below 20 without electrics is cold. You dont always have to zip your vents up, depends on the rain.
Regular rain, I dont zip up the flaps heavy rain or wind/rain yes. It seems to come in the back flap more than the sides. But as long as your moving its never that bad. Just dont stop moving. LOL.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Travman said:
So what's the average temperature range possible when wearing the Darien Light jacket. If your closing all the vents for rain in warm weather does that make it unbearably hot.
At 75 degrees I start looking for a place to pull over and change jackets, to something with mesh in it. Above 80 the Darien jacket is unbearable, even with all the vents open. YMMV.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a regular Darien for many years and a wet stripe down the front was standard in heavy rain. Otherwise it was a good item.

That said, I like my current jacket better (BMW New City) and stay bone dry in similar conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
This old thread popped to mind today. I had a regular Darien for nearly 10 years. Never ever leaked in heavy rain.

A couple of years ago I sold it and purchased a Darien Light with the hope that I could extend the window during which I could wear it here in the Dallas heat.

I love the Light for the stated purpose but it has proved a disappointment in the rain. It's simply not as waterproof as my regular Darien was. Even in areas where there are no seams, I can get wet patches on my shirt in a prolonged downpour.

I've tried several different waterproofing products to improve the water resistance of the outer material to no avail. Kinda bummed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd,

I ended up selling my Darien Light and buying a Kilamanjaro. I like it better in every way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts