BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there my friend and i have been wondering if there is any alternative to the stock aerial? over here in the UK we use bike rain covers if we go camping as camping and rain usually go together in this country! We have both thought about cutting our aerials so they are level with the topbox so the cover will go on, or changing them for a short car type one which are about 12inches high, any idea's

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

I stuck an eyelet in my cover, and just thread it over the aerial, works just fine.

Edit - Don't cut down the aerial, it's tuned, cut to a quarter wave length. If you chop it, reception will be affected.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
+ 1 on what Mike says on cutting the antenna. Don't do it. :(

I removed my CB (as I didn't use it) and the combo antenna. I installed a short AM/FM flex marine antenna that works great and should work with your cover. I can't get a photo right now as the LT is in my work shop, it is snowing @ 29 deg. and I am warm and toasty and on my 2nd martini :cool:

I 'll try to get you a photo tomorrow with out all the excuses :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Boatzo said:

I removed my CB (as I didn't use it) and the combo antenna. I installed a short AM/FM flex marine antenna that works great and should work with your cover. I can't get a photo right now as the LT is in my work shop, it is snowing @ 29 deg. and I am warm and toasty and on my 2nd martini :cool:

+1 on 2nd martini me too..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same thing. Just figure out where the antenna needs to fit through. My travel cover (E-Z Touring) is all nylon. While rip stop, I cut a small slit then reinforced with two round Goretex patches and then a plastic grommet glued to make sure it stays intact. Looks good and three years of use still works good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Boatzo said:

Similar to this: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP63526547.htm

just need to be able to mount it like Bill did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Any canvas shop can mod the cover to go around the antenna with a velcro or zipper closure. This is how it's done on boats. I put my cover on, then velcro flaps around each of the antennas on the boat.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Do a search for "amplified hide away antenna" you will find a number of them for about $30.
They work great, I've used them on a RT and LT.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I used a similar antenna to the one Glenn posted the link on. West Marine has them for $17.99, they are 16" high. It is not amplified and I get very good reception on both AM & FM. No adaptors necessary, but I did need a cable extension to get to the radio. I have seen similar antennas mounted to the front fairing on R1150RT bikes.

I used the existing bracket that the CB antenna was mounted to.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help so far guys i do fancy a shorter one as it drags on my garage door as well, like the idea of the last picture as i can see how it has been made to fit, or even better if i can put a hidden one on. To late about cutting haha i chopped 4 inches off it as it got bent on the said garage door!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
EddyQ said:
Thanks for the help so far guys i do fancy a shorter one as it drags on my garage door as well, like the idea of the last picture as i can see how it has been made to fit, or even better if i can put a hidden one on. To late about cutting haha i chopped 4 inches off it as it got bent on the said garage door!!

Eddie, you wouldn't happen to be a plumber by trade would you? :histerica

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since you've already cut the antenna, might as well try cutting it to half of it's original length. May be short enough for your cover, and may work better than it does at it's current length. I'm guessing eighth-wave would be as good or better than the original quarter-wave minus 4 inches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts