BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a used K12LT in the near future. I want a 2002 or newer and wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should look for in this model. I know basically what to look for on most motorcycles, but wanted to know if there was anything specific to watch out for on the K12LT. Thanks .. Mike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Would reccomend getting a 2003 or newer so you don't need to worry about the rear bearing going. Or a 2002 or earlier that the owner has had the bearing replaced on.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the best advice anyone gave me was to ask around for one of the "curve cowboys" who might have a bike for sale....in doing so i found one who was a veteran serious rider who had the bike already set up with all the gadgets and with all the maintenance done......the bike i bought had 77000 miles on it which i was a little dubious about but it had every imagineable option too .....ive put 2000 on it in the month ive had it and its fine.....so...point is....better to get one from someone people know than from a total stranger.....or from ebay......good luck.....email me direct if u have any specific questions about the K1200LT.....ive read darn near everything u can find to read on them.....

kip
99 champagne LT

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
MikeyO
I purchased a used 03 that was in very good condition. Sometime in 2002 they changed the bearing in the rear drive. There is a way to check the mfg date, but I don't remember in what month they made the change. I decided to go with an 03 to make sure I got the new bearing. I was lucky to find a low mileage, dealer serviced, good priced 03. Yes this board led me to it indirectly :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would get an '03 or newer with some of the standard warranty still on it. I purchased one with really low mileage and it has been great. Then go to motorcycleservices.com and get an extended warranty for another 3 years. That should cost you less then 1000.00. But, it is well worth it.

Check the service record (buyer should be working with a specific dealer that would have the details as to what has been done). Make sure all the recalls have been done.

Look for one with equipment that you would want on it. Especially consider things like, HIDs and/or running lights, windshield that meets your height needs. I would go with a Custom or better since you will have the sound system with the cd changer.

You may want to consider using www.nada.com, www.kbb.com to see values of the model that you are considering and also check out www.cycletrader.com for available models and pricing. You can also check the BMW Owners of America News in their flea market section for LTs for sale.

Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mikey, I have a 2003 LTE for sale. Don't know where you are, I am in Cheyenne Wyoming. This bike has all the options including the GPS. New condition. 8300 miles. Let me know if you are interested. Bill

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the rear bearing on a earlier model if that is what you want. The price diff between a clean 2001 and a similar 2003 will pay for MULTIPLE rear bearings... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts