BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a little nervous when it comes to maintaining the proper oil level in my LT. On the center stand, the level is midway between the the center of the sight glass and the bottom. Do you think I should add oil or is it o.k. at this level? If I need to add, about how much should it take to raise the level to an acceptable level? Thank you.

Ray

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sight Glass

Ray - to my understanding the oil level is supposed to be seen at the middle of the glass. I've gone over that level, but my dealer has said it's nothing to get excited about.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
256 Posts
Isn't that right where the Owner's Manual says it should be?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I always watch these as I am a nervous Nelly too on oil.

Here is what my dealer and the Clymer say to do.

Run it till it is hot.
Put on center stand.
Waite 10 minuets.
Level should be between half way and full on the site glass.
Difference from lower mark (bottom) and site glass top is .85 of a quart.

I run mine just so I see a level at the very top of the site glass.

Dealer did the 600, I did the 3000, and I am over due for the 6000 at the Dealer. I will ask again to be sure.

with 4 quarts, and by those stats, at half sight glass you are .42 of a quart low. I would not run my bike that low on oil.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oil level.

With a cold motor, and the bike on the sidestand (easier to see)

oil level should be "just" visible in the bottom of the sight glass,
that will put it in the center of the sight glass on the centerstand.
It is a circulating system a little bit over isn't going to make any difference.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
As long as you can see oil you are fine and it is NOT 4 quarts it is 3.7 quarts (US) with filter change. If you always add 4 quarts at each oil change you will eventually over fill it. For fun next time you park on the center stand, keep the engine running and look in the sight glass( you will see no oil). Then shut down the engine and watch the oil appear.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
jzeiler said:
As long as you can see oil you are fine and it is NOT 4 quarts it is 3.7 quarts (US) with filter change. If you always add 4 quarts at each oil change you will eventually over fill it. For fun next time you park on the center stand, keep the engine running and look in the sight glass( you will see no oil). Then shut down the engine and watch the oil appear.
I been through this debate too. 3.7 to 4.0.

It does not matter!!!! The difference is in what the sight glass is telling you. It is .85 of a quart difference from the bottom of the glass to the top of the glass, period.

I am not debating it, just stating fact from two manuals, and my dealer.

In both manuals it stated they USE to specify checking on the side stand, however in my manuals it says to NOT check it that way and check it as I described.

Your bike you run it how you feel comfortable.

And yes I did measure 3.7 with the change I did as well as measure the FD and Tranny Amsoil Sever Gear.

I was afraid that the .3 of a quart would help contribute to side stand smoke outs. I was told not so, and not to worry about it.

At that time I pointed out that we purposely ran our Twin Cams a bit low to keep it puking from the air cleaner. While not the same engine I wondered if it would help on the SSSO (Side Stand Smoke Out), and again I was told no.

I was also told do you think the dealer is measuring that last .7? Or might he be just dumping 4?

In the greater scheme of things the 3.7-4.0 is not as critical due to the design of the motor, but .85 down on oil would concern me for any distance, and as I said I look for a level well above the center line.

My bike, my care and feeding.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I failed to mention that when I checked the oil level, it was approx. 15-20 minutes after a 2 hour ride, and on the center stand. I think I would feel better with a slightly higher level in the sight glass. Think I'll add just a tad. Appreciate your help.

Ray

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
I personally keep it above the center of the glass. I don't measure when I fill but I stop pouring when it hits the center (I pre-fill the filter). I always have oil left over, infact I buy only 3 quarts every third oil change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
I agree with all that's been said. But whatever you do, don't overfill her.
If you do, she'll start to blow seals and the first to go is usually at the front end where the oil and water pump are situated.
Happy riding
Waz

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Checking the oil.

Checking the oil motorman style. First check always in the morning or first when you get on. That way all the oil is in the "oil holding area". Sometimes the oil temp. valve does/not open to let the oil back.

The oil should be halfway in the window. Only add oil if you do not see any, then it is only about a 1/2 cup or until you see the oil again the window. On a LT I have never added oil, and this is on two LTs.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
jzeiler said:
Hi, John. I'm a senile member too, so please help me understand. If I drain it all out (the motor oil, not whatever little sense I have left) then how over time am I eventually overfill the engine? If I put 4 quarts in and drain 4 quarts out, then put in 4 quarts again, the net gain is zero. 4-4+4 is only 4, isn't it? Did Congress pass another midnight legislation on arithmetic and noone told me?

Thanks.

Karl

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John: Hope you and your family had a great Christmas. I still give "692" regular exercise and am taking real good care of her! By the way, our Cats will be going up against your Noles on New Years Eve. FSU is a big time tradition; hope we can play with them. Take care.

Ray

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Do not know.

kmurphy165 said:
Hi, John. I'm a senile member too, so please help me understand. If I drain it all out (the motor oil, not whatever little sense I have left) then how over time am I eventually overfill the engine? If I put 4 quarts in and drain 4 quarts out, then put in 4 quarts again, the net gain is zero. 4-4+4 is only 4, isn't it? Did Congress pass another midnight legislation on arithmetic and noone told me?

Thanks.

Karl

Karl,
I have never changed the oil in the LT. You will be on your own on that one. My post was based on riding RTs with oil coolers for the last 7 years. We have found out that checking them in morning was the best.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think you can.

Arby60 said:
John: Hope you and your family had a great Christmas. I still give "692" regular exercise and am taking real good care of her! By the way, our Cats will be going up against your Noles on New Years Eve. FSU is a big time tradition; hope we can play with them. Take care.

Ray

Didn't noles lose like 30 some players. :) Cheating on a online class.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Please excuse the novice question here.

So this post got me thinking that I should check my oil level. Haven't had her that long and I had the dealer change the oil (and all fluids) not long ago. I have never checked the oil myself so far so I have no experience on what to look for on the site glass.

I do not see any oil level on the site glass. I looks completely solid black with a tiny "bubble" right in the center. Putting the bike on the side stand or the center does not matter. Should the site glass be clear enough to actually see the oil level line? Is it more difficult to see than I am thinking?

So you know, I don't think I am a complete idiot and have done several maint items like changing all the front break lines wth Spieglers (still have to do the rears), got my low beam HID in the other night, had the tupperware off twice and rewired in my XM.

But this oil level has be stumped. I don't want to add more if it is overfilled already but I have no way of knowing what I should be looking for and the site glass looks like it is just a solid black disk. It doesn't look right to me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
dark sight glass

I do not see any oil level on the site glass. I looks completely solid black with a tiny "bubble" right in the center.

You might have a sight glass that has gone dark, they do that. Next oil change have the dealer change that out. Or rather drop by the D and have them look at it, get their bent on it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After reading several thread on the site glass issue, I see that it is not all that uncommon for it to be smoked. It could be overfilled but I will not know until I see it empty.

So now is as good a time as any. I'm going to change the oil and take a look at the glass to see if it is smoked. I can pick one up and the dealer if I need to but at least I will know what is up here. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Did Congress pass another midnight legislation on arithmetic and noone told me?

Thanks.

Karl
Yeah you got me on that one I have to fall back on the Senile title. Net gain should be zero. It's just that I always put six + quarts in my Lincoln and never dispose of more than 5 and it does not use oil and I drain the filter (drill holes in it before it goes in the trash). I can't explain it, must have something to do with dark matter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts