BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a major maintenance of my k1200. In doing so I have had an opportunity to inspect a number of areas of the bike that don't often get looked at.

I noticed that there is a bit of carbon deposit on the rear cylinder exhaust manifold. The other cylinders are clean. Should I tighten or at least check the tightness of the rear manifold nuts? I am asking since in the past I've snapped head bolts, etc. and I'm not looking for any more work....

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I too am famous for twisting off bolts. Check the nuts on your exhaust but do it with a torque wrench. Saves a lot of headaches........... :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
With 35k+ miles I never checked the exhaust manifold bolts. As the noise got louder I finally took a look. One had wormed its way out and 3 others were loose. The dealer din't have them in stock, which I find incredible, but he ordered them and I torqued them all. Use a torque wrench to avoid a larger problem.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Take the old nuts (and lock washers? I can't remember...) off and toss them, replace with new OEM.

Clean the studs with carb cleaner and a brass detail "toothbrush". Put a drop of motor oil on each one, brush it on the threads with a NEW nylon toothbrush and hand tighten until "very snug". Let them sit a minute and tighten again. Unless you have an extremely accurate torque wrench I would not mess with it - you are unlikely to get a good reading since the studs are stressed and not factory clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts