BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cruise control button has stopped working and the horn button continuously sticks.
I've read a thread here about checking the cables coming off the throttle and, according to the dealer they are fine. He blew out the horn button with some electronics cleaner and some wd40 and it kinda worked for a while in loosening it up a bit, but now 2 dealers just say the the easiest ting to do is replace the buton console.
One of the previous threads indicated that you can put a shim under the cruise button and that often works. The dealer says he won't have any part of that.
THe quote for a new module is approx $500 CDN plus installation, ( about $150)

If it is possible to try the shim option and if there is a shim type option for the horn then that would be great if it is possible to do it on my own with out too much chnace for fouing up. ( I can take things apart real easy, and often get them back together without having too many parts left over in my hand.)

Any help with detailed instructions or cautions would be great.
Thanks
Joel

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Some contact cleaner may help.. but it can also be tough on plastic. Changing the switches may be the right thing to do. It's something you should be able to do yourself, but hey, it's your decision. I'd bet there are some folks in your area who could help.

If you are good at it, you could put a drop of solder on the contact. That would help make contact. But that's a "last ditch effort".

If it were me, I'd change the switches out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Joel,
If the red light on the cruise switch is not coming on then most likely the cam that operates it has worn. An easy fix is to open up the switch module and shim up the cruise switch by placing 2-3 layers of electrical tape under the switch. The switches are round and just push into the holder. While you're in there try cleaning out any out the horn switch mechanism on the back side.
If you need a switch assembly try beemerboneyard, the classified ads here, or E-bay.

·
Registered
699 Posts
How do you get the switch module off the handlebars? There is a screw somewhere that I can't find and I don't want to force it. Any hints from anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I had a similar problem with my RT, the spring that keeps the rocker switch on the side had worn through, and I gasped when the dealership told me I had to buy a $90 cable and replacement SET of switches when all I needed was a double-micro switch that probably costs a quarter. I ended up fixing the problem with the spring from a cheap $.15 retracting pen that I cut down with wire cutters and twisted the end of.

Worth a shot before you drop a hundred bucks...

PS, heed the advice above, that contact cleaner wreaks havoc on plastic, and heaven help you if you get any on your paint...lay a couple layers of rags on your paint before starting and wipe off any excess from plastic surfaces too

P

·
Registered
878 Posts
My personal experience with contact cleaner is that it is a temporary fix at best. It seems to attract dirt and leads to more and more frequent use. YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts