BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys...I'm installing new Tapered Roller Bearings on the steering Head of my Goldwing. I have all the old races/bearings off. I installed the new races into the steering head (no problem here).

But, when I installed the lower bearing onto the steering stem, it distorted and now is ruined. What is the prefered method of heating the bearing (and to what temp) before installing it to get it to expand a bit. I will also cool the steering stem in the freezer beforehand. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
616 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
OK Guys...I'm installing new Tapered Roller Bearings on the steering Head of my Goldwing. I have all the old races/bearings off. I installed the new races into the steering head (no problem here).

But, when I installed the lower bearing onto the steering stem, it distorted and now is ruined. What is the prefered method of heating the bearing (and to what temp) before installing it to get it to expand a bit. I will also cool the steering stem in the freezer beforehand. Thanks for any advice.

Refrig on the stem should be all that is needed.

How did you "distort" the bearing? If you are hammering it on, make sure you use a piece of tubing that is not bigger than the inner race of the bearing.

Seriously, I never damaged one of these, but since the bearings are harded and heat-treated, I don't advise heating them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
Jack,

Most of the BMW bearings are heated to 100 - 120 degrees C for installation. That should not alter the heat treatment at all.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
Jack,

Most of the BMW bearings are heated to 100 - 120 degrees C for installation. That should not alter the heat treatment at all.

Good deal! Thanks a ton guys. I find that the advice on here is much quicker and frankly, I trust you guys cause I know ya. Seems to be a lot more skilled engineer types on this site.... :bmw:

I guess I'll be buying that 1600 LT soon....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You should be able to get a pretty good price for your Wing. At least in Canada, they hold their value much better than BMW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts