BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

There comes a time in a bike's life were difficult decisions need to be made. This is one of those times and I am seeking for some advice from the all wise community.

I have a 2003 LTE with about 28K miles on it. I love the bike and would not want to park it at any point. It will be out of warranty on February, but I am contemplating on a couple of things.

Like most of us, I seem to be scraping the center stand and the pegs ( without the lowering kit ) on a regular basis when I turn. This is not a problem, but a feature in my opinion (LOL! ). I would like to

stop doing that by raising the bike a little bit with some new shocks. I have read some threads about Wilburs and Ohlins and I have seen that most of you prefer Ohlins.

So here is the major question:

1) Do I trade the bike in for a new one when the warranty expires or
2) Perform the belated 24K mile service at the dealer and have him install Ohlins for me ( raising the bike a bit and keeping it in a good condition )

Never had rear drive failure, replaced the radio a couple of times in warranty ( I park the bike outside all year long in the parking lot. I do not have a garage ). Also, if the consensus is to keep the bike until the 2nd year of a redisigned model comes out, please let me know , in your opinion, what would be the best aftermarket insurance to cover most of the problems and your experience with them in reimbursing/dealer issues.

I am sorry if this post sounds like another broken record, but would like to hear from you and learn from your experience.

Thanks!
Spiros

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Keep or trade

Hi Spiros!

I didn't realize you were a peg scraper :)
Since you don't do any of your own work on the bike and repairs can be expensive, and you are thing about having aftermarket shocks installed ($$), I'd go for the new bike.
If you really love the one you have and are really attached to it, that's one thing. But if you go down to the local dealer showroom and find one that trips your trigger there, I go for it.

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
NEW bike time????

RaffyK said:
You can still buy extended warranty and keep the bike. Cheaper in the long run than to make payments (unless you are paying cash) for an additional few years. You already paid for the depreciation.
On the other hand, nothing like a new bike.
Like Raffy said "the depreciation" is yours. AND there is "nothing like a new bike."
Thoughts::
You KNOW this machine.
Wibers or Ohlins sholud spruce up the 'draggin' to better than new.
The Extended Service Policies (they ain't truly warrantys) have paid off dramatically for some people, worth a look.

Othert Thoughts:
The '05 has some very nice enticements --NEW for one thing, front end geometry, Power increase, center stand, light arrangement, reported brake improvement and ofcourse-NEW.

Weigh the ESP, Shocks, routine maintenance known quantity against the NEW, you'll have to decide, its only money, but---its your money.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Spiros, I have the same delema. The shocks on my 03 have started to sag, I have 34xxx miles, the warranty is about to run out and the 36xxx mile inspection is just around the corner. The RT is looking good, but the trade in value is terrible. Started looking at extended warranties today. Wish I had an answer to the question. Do like the idea of no new payments. I think the idea of waiting for the new K1200 RT may be my plan.

Good Luck
Jim in GA

·
Registered
558 Posts
Looking at the used bike prices in the newest MCN I expect that a new LT would be pretty expensive. You will likely lose a lot on the current one unless you got a really good deal on it. I know the price they show for my 99 I wouldn't take for it but that price isn't a trade in price. The trade price would really be bad. Personally I wouldn't trade mine in for another LT now-maybe when they make the big change. For me I don't see that much difference in the new model. When mine gets a good number of miles on it I might go for another LT but I only have about 37,000 on it so that will be awhile. If there was another model BMW or another brand had one I wanted then I would trade.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
before you decide, be sure to check on what it is worth. if you are like me you will be SHOCKED. i literally cannot afford to trade mine.

i am still kicking myself for buying a new one and not letting someone else take the Big Hit on depreciation.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have a 2003ltc and I wouldn't trade it. I love it. I can't imagine the '05 being that much better. You will definately take a big hit if you trade. My suggestion is go to www.motorcycleservices.com and check out their extended warranty. It covers everything but excluded items which are really wear items. I would do it before your warranty runs out though.

If you consider what it is going to cost you for a new bike, you can do alot more then just change shocks. Why don't you have them checked out and if you need new ones, get them. If you find the need to trade, sell yours outright and then buy a pre-owned '05.

The rear end problem is really something that was more of an issue in the pre '03 models. So, I doubt you will have to worry much about that. Make sure that you have your clutch and rear end fluid changed at least every 12K .. If you like the bike, keep it.

By now I am sure you are use to the slow speed handling, and from what I understand, the seat is not as comfortable on the '05.. Then there is the money that you have already invested in accessories. You will have to start over again.

Weigh the pluses and minuses. I think you will come to the same conclusion.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Have you ridden an 05?

You might drag the pegs on an 05 also.

Bob

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Spiros,

Like some of us who own LT's ... We purchased used to get past the depeciation hit. In doing so giving us extra money for upgrades, farkles and such.

With an "03" you have a fairly new bike, with low miles too.
IMHO. one would think that a lack of future bike payments is GREAT !
Take that money now and maintain what you have .... Shocks make a HUGE differance in overall handling (Wilbers ;)) Other issues with a bike out in the weather are NOT going to change with a new bike :(

You allready own a GREAT bike, the "05" is a little differant ... But 10 to 13K worth ? .. Doubtfull.

Take your money and "Upgrade" what you have, because in the end doing so ... You will have a Better bike than new :D

Warrantee .... Whats that ? Once again, save your money .. If it breaks, Fix it & ride on.

MHO.
Scott

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fellow riders-

Your advice is as always appreciated and highly regarded. As most of you believe ( and I thank all of you that posted and everyone that has an opinion but has not had the opportunity to express it yet ) I have decided to keep the bike and take all the necessary measures to keep it in a good running conditions for some more years to come.

I appreciate the advice on the extended warranty and the shocks, and I am certainly going to look into it before the manufacturer's warranty expires.

I am looking forward to many happy and fulfilling rides aiming to meet most of you at CCR in GA next year!

You guys are great !!!!

Until then, Ride Safely and accessorize !!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Spiros,
I have an 05' and got a great deal on it. It now has 42,000 miles. I got it with an extended Pinnacle warranty which they just transfered for 40.00. I realized when I bought it I would probably have to replace the shocks and the Wilburs look good to me and reasonable. I'de keep the bike you have, you're used to whatever slow speed handling difficulties we perceive these bikes have, rode an 04 also don't see that much improvement, once you go past the point where you can hold it up you're over. So... either hang onto your money and do the shocks and buy an add on repair policy, or shop for a great deal on a used 05', or get the shocks and screw the add on policy, keep puttin' 200.00 a month away for emergency repairs. Beemer's don't break, do they?

·
Registered
807 Posts
03 vs new

My 02 LT may go for the 06 GT. I would not sell my 02 LT for a new LT. My bike is sweet and well maintained. But, when I take that test ride on the new 2006 GT with 50% more BHP and 300# less fat, I may just get me a new FASTER toy. I sat on the 2006 GT at the show a few days ago. Wow. Sweet adjustable handlebars. I love the ergos.

You made the best decision, IMHO. Just don't go look at the 2006 GT, especially after you spring for the Wilburs!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
You've barely got it broken in, why get rid of it??;) You should still be able to get an extended warranty for your bike to cover it a few more years. As for the ride I would highly recommend Ohlins shocks. I've had them on my last 2 LTs and wouldn't ride without them. Be sure you have someone who understands suspension setup dial them in for you. Also, depending on how much load you carry you may want to consider a heavier rate spring for the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts