BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to repair the tabs on my '97 K1100LT lower fairing to no avail. Does anyone have any experience on repairing the plastic tabs on the fairing? I need help! :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a product called "Plastex" that we use in Oz, which is imported from the US. You can make moulds from rubber bits that are supplied with it and replace the tabs. If you have the tabs, then it will allow you to stick them back to the frame. There are 2 types of product for the different types of plastic used in the fairings. You would have to do a test patch to ensure it will stick. We used to sell it in Oz, and people swear by it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Colin1952 is right about Plastex. I have not used it on my LT so I can not give specific LT feedback but have used it very successfully on car door tabs, cracked plastic parts etc. over the years. Here is their website where it can be ordered:

http://www.plastex.ca

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

"Silberner Wolf 2003 LTE"

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I had purchased a putty that did work as far as making the tab. Trouble is, it didn't adhere to the plastic and came right off. I had been thinking of gluing it to the fairing, but nothing would stick to the fairing sufficiently to create a "bond". The more I looked at the PLASTEX product, it seems as if this might be the ticket. I was balking at the price but for what a new lower fairing would cost, it is minimal expense if the stuff really works as claimed. It had been recommended to me on the K11OG site as well and without looking there again I believe it was Colin who made the suggestion there as well. Thanks, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and order some and pray that it works as advertised.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I found Plastex at the local Harbor Freight store. The only problem was getting out of there without buying a lot of other "must have" stuff.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tip Bill. I think there is one close to me. I'll give them a call and I agree with you about escaping with blowing up the wallet! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts