BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just registered.

I've been riding for many years now mostly Ducati's, but also done a fair bit of green laning on KTMs.

I really fancy now knuckling down & crunching a few miles, crushing a few continents etc... & the K1200GT looks like the tool for the job.

I'd be really grateful for any advice you can give me for things to look out for 2nd hand bikes.

Also at 5 foot 8 should I be concerned about the size? - my current bike has a seat of 845mm & although I'm on my tip toes on it, it doesn't cause me a problem.

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
262 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Many of the same people appear on forums at several websites.

Cheers,

XMR
Ain't that the truth

:compute:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Roger, you height is important but maybe more important is your inseam. My wife and I both have a 29" inseam but she is a tad over 4'11" and I am 5'9".

I find a lot of the bikes I am trying I have to be on my tip toes, not even the balls of my feet.

Good luck on your search

btw the GT fits my short legs pretty darn good, now to finish saving my down payment ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am 5' 7" and I am on tiptoes when straight up but a slight mean and I'm fine. Be aware of course that these are tall bikes with plenty of top weight. Tipped twice with wife and a top case on so made it worse.

As for other tips. Be aware of the GTs built in problems that may affect the year you are looking at:

Airbox plunger fix
Software upgrade
both above can give a uncontrolable throttle response
Rear Gear detonation
Key identification with ignition
clutch chatter
Gear selector slop

I'm sure others will chime in.
Its still a great bike and just has it problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts