BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to tackle valve check/adjust for the first time (by me)
When adjusting valves do Y'all use the BMW special tool (+/- $200) or ???
Thanx

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
Just getting ready to tackle valve check/adjust for the first time (by me)
When adjusting valves do Y'all use the BMW special tool (+/- $200) or ???
Thanx
I haven't used that tool in both checking and adjusting ole Toad's valves, and I venture to say that most folks don't use that tool on their checks/adjusts either. Are you using this article for your work guide, along with a shop manual of some sort?

Go slow and deliberate; and yell here if you have any questions while having fun!!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, using the Gunsmoke write-up and Clymers..................
(Prolly wasn't going to try if I had to buy a $200 tool)...........

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Dick said:
I haven't used that tool in both checking and adjusting ole Toad's valves, and I venture to say that most folks don't use that tool on their checks/adjusts either. Are you using this article for your work guide, along with a shop manual of some sort?

Go slow and deliberate; and yell here if you have any questions while having fun!!
That article has been pointed to for years, even though it has a pretty serious error in it.

DO NOT
remove the spark plugs before taking all the measurements! This is stated emphatically in the BMW service manual, and for good reason.

Any carbon particles loosened by spark plug removal can drop down onto valve/seat surfaces of any open exhaust valve, giving you an incorrect reading on that valve. It could cause the reading to be good or loose, when in fact it may be too tight without the particle between the valve and seat.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
But other than that one omission, the Gunsmoke article is wonderful! The omission (don't remove the sparking plugs) should be followed, certainly, but it may or may not have affected you. The article has big, full color pictures of every step. No special tools needed, as others have said. When my wife saw the Gunsmoke printout, she said, "We can do this". And we did - more than once. I still don't believe I removed a cam from an engine that I expected to run afterwards, but I did, and it even ran fine after changing buckets and re-installation.

- Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts