BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hinges on my top case has broken loose, probably due to some our wonderfully rough roads. I have been trying to glue it back together with little luck, it breaks again as soon as I hit a big bump. I cannot fix it with screws as it is not the hinge that has broken but rather the plastic that the hinge attaches to has broken loose. I am realizing I am not using the correct adhesive for the plastic so if anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have had good luck with West System G/flex, it can be purchased at West Marine or other marine suppliers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I thought you could get to the underside of the plastic. I may be wrong but wouldn't you then want to back it with a piece of metal.

The other thing to look at is to see if a body shop could plastic weld it back together for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom1200 said:
I thought you could get to the underside of the plastic. I may be wrong but wouldn't you then want to back it with a piece of metal.

The other thing to look at is to see if a body shop could plastic weld it back together for you.
Unfortunately there is no place to attach the metal. The lower section of the hinge is still attached to the plastic; it is this flat piece that has broken away from the sides. The local dealer has told me that this cannot be repaired and due to the location of the break both the top and bottom sections of the case must be replaced at a cost of just under $2000.

I will call around to some body shops and see if there is a way to weld the plastic back together.

·
Registered
607 Posts
markc said:
Unfortunately there is no place to attach the metal. The lower section of the hinge is still attached to the plastic; it is this flat piece that has broken away from the sides. The local dealer has told me that this cannot be repaired and due to the location of the break both the top and bottom sections of the case must be replaced at a cost of just under $2000.

I will call around to some body shops and see if there is a way to weld the plastic back together.

Not one of these is $2000...not even new.

A new dealer might be needed.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?..._osacat=10063&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
How about a picture so all the McGivers can give their 2 cents worth!!! :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Not one of these is $2000...not even new.

A new dealer might be needed.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?..._osacat=10063&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

OK, so maybe when new:

Top: $1,1227- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=51717&btnr=46_0530&hg=46&fg=23

Bottom: $1,044- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=51717&btnr=46_0529&hg=46&fg=23

But nobody should ever pay than much. Stay with Ebay if the other attempts don't fix it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm in the process of fixing mine right now. Used a piece of angle from Home Depot, drilled out the rivets on the bottom half of the hinge. Will drill holes for rivets to re-attach hinge and drill 2 holes through case for bolts. Will post some photos when done.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mine broke a couple of months ago and as a short term fix I used some West System epoxy that I had handy. So far it has worked well but I don't think it is a long term solution.

Some 3M 5200 marine sealant might work well also. It is made to be a permanent joint.

Either of these will be available at most marine stores.

Kevin

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GlennM86 said:
OK, so maybe when new:

Top: $1,1227- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=51717&btnr=46_0530&hg=46&fg=23

Bottom: $1,044- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=51717&btnr=46_0529&hg=46&fg=23

But nobody should ever pay than much. Stay with Ebay if the other attempts don't fix it.
Even the eBay price is just not workable for me and in any case is not a project I would want to undertake. For me it will be either repair it or live with it being broken.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have a new unused top, part number 52 53 7 662 999 (Black) that I will let you have for $300 plus shipping, if it will help any. I think from reading your original post that it is the bottom that is broken though.

If anyone else has use for it, let me know. Looks like I will never need it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just finished the repair. The angle I used was a Simpson Strong Tie LS50Z from Home Depot in the lumber section. The rivets were from BMW, part # 07119902265, although you could use any pop rivet. You will have to use a hack saw and grinder to shape the angle. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RiderRay said:
Just finished the repair. The angle I used was a Simpson Strong Tie LS50Z from Home Depot in the lumber section. The rivets were from BMW, part # 07119902265, although you could use any pop rivet. You will have to use a hack saw and grinder to shape the angle. Hope this helps.
It appears that yours broke in a different place than mine did. On mine the horizontal plastic piece that the bottom half of the hinge attaches to broke loose from the sides of the assembly so I do not have anything to attach screws or rivets to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dshealey said:
I have a new unused top, part number 52 53 7 662 999 (Black) that I will let you have for $300 plus shipping, if it will help any. I think from reading your original post that it is the bottom that is broken though.

If anyone else has use for it, let me know. Looks like I will never need it.
I appreciate the offer but for me right now even $300 is more than I can afford.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did your hinge break off from the bottom half of the case? If so, that's what mine did. The three screws hold the angle in place and that's where I riveted the bottom half of the hinge. Can you post a photo of yours?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Same problem that I had, just the other side. My fix should work fine for you. It took me a total of a few hours including painting the angle I made and waiting for it to dry. PM me if you want my # and we can discuss. With all materials (including the BMW rivets), less than 15 bucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts