BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a 2 week trip, and will need some additional storage. I am not ready to start pulling a trailer yet with my K1200LT, so was wondering...

There is a device call the PakIt Rak that many GoldWing riders use, allowing a large bag to be attached to a receiver hitch.

Does anyone use a similar device on their K12?

·
Registered
607 Posts
What type of riding trip are you doing? Camping, or motels? If it's motels, you should have more than enough room on the bike as is. Nothing wrong with stopping at a laundromat along the way to freshen up the wardrobe.

I have a routine I go through when packing for a trip - I lay out everything I want to take, and then look at each one individually and ask myself, "Do I really need to take this?". It usually cuts my packing in half, at least.

Now, if I could only convince Telle to do the same... :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
More room

bibleman said:
I am planning a 2 week trip, and will need some additional storage. I am not ready to start pulling a trailer yet with my K1200LT, so was wondering...

There is a device call the PakIt Rak that many GoldWing riders use, allowing a large bag to be attached to a receiver hitch.

On the top box, take out the liner. It will give you a few extra cubic inches. SO and I did 12,000 km last year without a trailer. This year bought a trailer and did 9700 km with no problems. Nice thing about a trailer you can pack a cooler and stop anywhere for a break, cheese and crakers, drink (non-alchol) It was great to be able to stop in the 110f days we had around Pheniox.

Garry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hitch Rack

I am using the hitch rack from alsmotorcycleaccessories.com on a Dauntless hitch. I called him and he made sure the hitch would bolt up to the Dauntless. I carried 40 lbs one trip and 30 lbs the second trip. I only noticed something "a little twitch" when coming to a stop. Probably had 40 Lbs on passenger seat. I am not yet settled on a box to mount on the rack. I used a large dry-bag that did not look good. Then tried a Rubbermaid box that was a little wide and touched down on tight corners. Overall happy with the $40 rack on the $400 hitch!! hmmm?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Packing

Remember that you can always stop and do laundry. We only pack 2 changes of clothes, rain gear, cold gear, tent, sleeping pads & bags, and a soft side cooler.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Have you checked the "trailers, sidecars, hitches" -section?
I had this built on a modified Dauntless receiver.
Hi,

what's the effect of a bag that size on the bike? does the front end get light on you or is the luggage mounted low enough as to not affect the bike? I've been thinking about something like this myself.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
myk_edwards said:
Hi,

what's the effect of a bag that size on the bike? does the front end get light on you or is the luggage mounted low enough as to not affect the bike? I've been thinking about something like this myself.
I haven't ridden the bike solo with the luggage rack and the load but with two up I did not really notice much difference. At least I was not pulling wheelies on the traffic lights...
The extra load (total 24 kg) sits very low, maybe that helps.

Regards

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have contacted the " Pakit Rak " Co. and will be notified when a BMW LT version is ready to be shipped... *Seems it has been in the pipline for some period of time.

·
Registered
577 Posts
More storage needed

I allowed my SO to do most of the packing, ok she did it all. I strongly suggested that we needed to pack lightly. Well, when we arrived in Atlanta on the way to CCR it was hot I mean HOT,104 F in the stop and go rush hour traffic. We had no place to put our jackets. and vests.
Purchased Chicane bags that hold a lot or a little, they have a strap system that compresses the bag and keeps it small. I mounted them above the side bags. Using a double strap system to fasten them on. one set of straps under the rear seat and another set behind the seat.
A lot of extra storage for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
bibleman said:

Remember to turn the underwear and socks inside out every other day and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
murray said:
Remember to turn the underwear and socks inside out every other day and you will be fine.
For even more time between laundry stops you can turn the underwear front-to-back. The fit is a little funny but it allows more time on the road. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Or just don't wear any underwear. :D

Actually, I know guys who save up old underwear for long bike trips. After a coupe of days, just throw them away. That way, the bike get lighter as the miles pile on. :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
meese said:
Or just don't wear any underwear. :D

Actually, I know guys who save up old underwear for long bike trips. After a coupe of days, just throw them away. That way, the bike get lighter as the miles pile on. :)
Thats down right disgusting :D
(from a man that cut a pair of drawers off in a porta potty, after a straight thru run to Daytona)
Rock

1 - 19 of 19 Posts