BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling to find a solution to getting more "trunk" space that looks good on the LT.

I want to carry a decent first aid kit but with what I have in the trunk, my rain gear in one saddle bag and clothing in the other I am out of space.

My Gear is also VERY bulky (Motoport Kevlar Jacket and pants)

I NEVER ride two up and have a waterproof duffel for the back seat, but it would like a cleaner look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hiya.

Without wishing to sound facetious why would you want to carry a decent first aid kit. By their nature first aid kits are small, a few plasters, surgical wipes, a small bandage, melolin patch, micropore tape, and if your lucky a small pair of scissors or a blade. BMW do one that you could fit in your jacket pocket.

God forbid the day we have a fall or we meet someone who is involved in an accident because no first aid kit we bikers (or car or truck drivers)carry is going to be of any use whatsoever. They are only designed for minor usage. Major blood trauma rip your shirt off and pack the wound and wait for the professionals to arrive.

Regards

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
A small first aid kit is sufficient.

A few bandages and some antiseptic, maybe some eye flush.. In most first aid classes to day, the trend is to stabilize and dial 911. Even CPR is now just chest compressions except in a drowning situation.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: additional carrying space on the LT

I guess that I should add that I was a Paramedic and am a current member of the FL State Emergency Responders and Disaster Preparedness Network and a member of the United States Medical Reserve Corps.

I am certified as a Medical Reserve Corps command staff member and in Mass Prophylaxis Point of Dispensing (POD) IE dispensing the Anthrax vaccine.

In my man cave I am well stocked to setup a triage center, handle casualties, fatalities, etc.

So as you can see I take my first aid seriously...

With that said, I am not looking at a fully stocked Trauma center to carry around nor driving an ambulance anymore, but it would be nice to have the space to carry my more advanced supplies to stabalize a ridding partner or accident victim.

Make sense now?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you take out the bottom liner of the top box you will get a couple more cubic inches.

Garry

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hi, Paul. For an example of extra carrying space, see if you can find a pic by Ken Meese that shows his ghetto mod. It's a PVC tube that he affixed to the bottom of the right saddle bag - makes the LT look like it has twice-pipes. Used it for carrying smallish tools, etc. that aren't needed on all trips. I'll see if I can find it and post it if I do.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, butt using the ass-end of a buggered exhaust unit as the tool holder. Although most all my tools lay flat on the floor of the left saddlebag, there are times when more space is needed, since I rarely have the top box installed on ole Toad.

Edit: Here is one pic of Meese's tool carrier.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Re: additional carrying space on the LT

pauleknight said:
Paramedic and am a current member of the FL State Emergency Responders and Disaster Preparedness Network and a member of the United States Medical Reserve Corps. certified as a Medical Reserve Corps command staff member and in Mass Prophylaxis Point of Dispensing (POD) IE dispensing the Anthrax vaccine.

?
I want you as my riding buddy!!!
Aside from what has been suggested, a small trailer... :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all in the name of being prepared.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You said that you ride solo, but do you have the trunk on? When I ride solo, no trunk, but one of Spuds racks. On that I carry a Cortek bag, which is large enough for the first-aid kit I carry. My kit, based on what I read here, is much larger than most, but I have plent of room for it.
That bag is attached using a bungie net, which also allows plenty of room to stuff more gear under it.
When we ride double, I have the RKA bag that attaches to the rack on top of the trunk. Being that high, it's only used for the lightest of gear - rain gear, wallets, purses camera and yes, first aid kit.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I really like is this one from Jessee, the 35 liter "pizza box" but the price is WAY to high to stomach at this time.

This is the one that was in the BMW MOA mag that they had their first aid kit in.

Unfortunally the price like I said is way too high and I do not think it would look real nice.

I might just go back to carrying my Sealline wide mouth duffel on the pillon seat and loading the sadde bag with my kit. The only problem is I hate leaving the bag on the bike when I go into a meetings out in the packing lot, I am always afraid that some lookey loo might try to mess with my stuff.

On the Sealline bag, I put in a steel plate bottom with trim to help the bag hold its shape for road trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
pauleknight said:

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
When I ride with multiple jackets (expecting severe temp changes) I take one set or armor. The jacket packs much better. I little longer to change equipment but more room in the side case.

·
Registered
593 Posts
this looks fairly inexpensive :histerica Just couldnt help but share this pic

·
Registered
51 Posts
not trying to hijack but how does that goldwing steer???

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Dick said:
Wow, that brings back some memories. That pic was taken at a BMW-only track day, where I got to run the LT to its limits. :) Actually fired up the old LT yesterday and went for a ride. It's still a great old bike.

On to the original topic. When you say:
pauleknight said:
my rain gear in one saddle bag

Do you mean that the Motoport stuff is only worn when it rains? Or do you wear it to ride, then tuck it away when you get to your destination? Surely it's the latter for a trained paramedic. ;)

What I did on long, fully-loaded two-up trips was to get a cable and lock and a half cover. The helmets and jackets (and pants, if you want to remove them) get set onto the seats, and locked to the saddlebag handles by running the cable through the face area, arms, and legs, then through the handles. Then toss the half-cover over everything to cover it up and keep it dry.

So in a couple of minutes your stuff is locked and out of sight, and your saddlebags and trunk remain free for other items.

And if you move the trunk to the rearward position, there is enough room to tuck the half-cover behind the passenger seat, and maybe the cable, too.

That worked well for us while riding all over Europe, and touring back in the States.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Carsucharda said:
not trying to hijack but how does that goldwing steer???
Very poorly, I'd imagine. :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That Gold Wing looks like it would be in a constant wheelie when ever the slightest throttle was applied. :rotf:

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might want to look at RedOX bags, especially the 'Gator'. I keep my Digital SLR and 4 lens in it(including a large 70-200 zoom). Very small bag and tough. I own three of their bags and use them for bike travel as well as business travel. They come with a life time guarantee.. I am sure you could find one that would meet your needs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@meese, YES I am ATGATT 100%.

I ride for work, and even wear suits to customer's offices. I was encourged to do this by some co workers in Germany who do a simialar job as mine and the ride to customer's offices almost everyday. Except they ride around Munich or Frankfurt for work and I ride Orlando to Miami, or to Atlanta or to Jacksonville, etc. and stay overnight in hotels while there riding is around town 99% of the time.

The problem is after I check out of a hotel and I am loaded with a suit or two, three dress shirts and other sundry items, including a laptop and valise,along with the normal tools, first aid kit, etc, and ride over to the customer's office and need to leave everything except the laptop and the suit on my back.

I guess I will have to start locking up the Motoport gear to the bike and get a cable for the helmet....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you tried a tank bag. I have one available through twisted throttle and am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a LT and ride solo most of the time.

After a lot of playing around I have the following set up that I like :

1.) remove the rear top case and put a Ft Worth (or equal) rack on. The bike loses 35 lbs of top heavy weight and handles way better!

2.) use any number/type of waterproof soft bags -or put a hard bag on the rack. You will end up with more storage overall as well as a lot more packing flexibility.

3.) use a good tank bag---this forum is a great place to search for options

4.) I have a waterproof duffle bag strapped on my passenger seat that holds a lot of my stuff. I like the weight to be , as much as possible, between the axles!

Tom Volk

Full disclosure:
I own RPW
home of Marsee products and Helen Twowheels Products
www.racerpartswholesale.com

My bike:
I have a Large H2W Clothes sack on the passenger seat strapped down with the LT specific H2W straps. I have a Marsee 20L rear bag on my Ft Worth rack. I have a 10L Marsee tank bag (specific mounting just for the LT) When I need to carry more --I either stack a Medium H2W clothes sack on top of the passenger seat Large bag--or I replace the 20L Marsee Rear bag with a bigger Marsee or H2W bag(s).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts