BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the factory TPM after taking delivery of their 2010 R120RT? I don’t have the option and am considering adding it at the first tire change if it’s possible and the price is right. I read somewhere that it requires an update to the ZFE and of course the pressure sensors.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
This too is what I was told.
my 2011 is in the shop now having the ASC installed .

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Salvage parts won't work because you need to have the bike's computer synced with the electronics and that won't happen at the dealer if the Factory says no. You can get an aftermarket kit. The usually run about $200 something. This would save you a lot of hassle with BMW.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Yet we can add traction control...

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can have ASC added but not TPM. You can buy the parts but BMW won't release the program code, maybe someday.
I don't even have a guess as to why that is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ponch said:
Yet we can add traction control...
Supposedly this is made available to permit adding to police units as required by local demand, so Joe Citizen gets to buy it too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just for conversational purposes, for the cost and installation of some of the aftermarket
TPMs I ask why bother? The TPMs are convenient, but not a replacement for a manual
inspection which I do once or twice daily when touring. Besides cold tire pressure, the
other bit of information I want to know is the hot tire pressure when I'm touring on
a hot day, two-up and fully loaded. I'm going to check the tires regardless of having a TPM.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
One good use for the pressure monitor system was pointed out to me. (I do not have this system). I was on a long multi state trip with a riding buddy. He hit a fist size stone with his front tire. Following too close has many disadvantages. Well he created quite a dent in the rim. No air loss though. But through the remainder of the trip he was able to monitor the wheel air situation with the questionable rim and somewhat keep his worrying in check. Personally I will not purchase this system as I try to go with simple is better. But I see the Feds are going to require it in all cars by 2014. So, I suspect it will show up on more bikes. It causes some heartburn for me due to the non replaceable batteries in the wheel unit. You have to buy a complete device and have BMW sync it to your computer at the dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JonfromCB said:
Just for conversational purposes, for the cost and installation of some of the aftermarket
TPMs I ask why bother? The TPMs are convenient, but not a replacement for a manual
inspection which I do once or twice daily when touring. Besides cold tire pressure, the
other bit of information I want to know is the hot tire pressure when I'm touring on
a hot day, two-up and fully loaded. I'm going to check the tires regardless of having a TPM.
TPM is just as useful as any vehicle monitoring system like oil pressure, battery output, coolant temperature, etc. Real-time monitoring of tire pressure while underway provides early warning of a potential failure. Most systems incorporate some sort of compensation scheme to mitigate the effects of temperature on the readings.

Had TPM on my '08 Kawasaki Concours 14 and miss having it on my '11 RT.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Talking about aftermarket systems, I thought these were interesting as they eliminate the 2 potential problems with the screw-on cap types.
1. Possible damage to the valve caused by the weight of the caps
2. Getting stolen by low-life.

Also they have replaceable batteries - I'm not due for a tyre change for a while but I'm going to see if they are a possibility. The problem area may well be with the front wheel and it's separate valve, so no hole to poke the transmitter stem through.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/News/TPMS - 04-06-10 18.49

·
Registered
112 Posts
JonA said:
Talking about aftermarket systems, I thought these were interesting as they eliminate the 2 potential problems with the screw-on cap types.
1. Possible damage to the valve caused by the weight of the caps
2. Getting stolen by low-life.

Also they have replaceable batteries - I'm not due for a tyre change for a while but I'm going to see if they are a possibility. The problem area may well be with the front wheel and it's separate valve, so no hole to poke the transmitter stem through.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/News/TPMS - 04-06-10 18.49
And that unusual "on-the-spoke" location of the air valve on the front wheel also eliminates most screw-on type sending units due to conflict with the disc brake assembly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
What in case I had TPM in the first place when I purchased the bike 2nd hand and now it is broken? Where can I buy a new BMW original sensor? Any difficulties to adjust in this case?

·
Registered
729 Posts
gameron said:
Hi,
What in case I had TPM in the first place when I purchased the bike 2nd hand and now it is broken? Where can I buy a new BMW original sensor? Any difficulties to adjust in this case?
New from a dealer. They have a non replaceable battery and you won't know the life expectancy of used. I do believe the dealer will also have to program the system to recognize the new sensor.

·
Cat Herder
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Does anyone know for sure ...

... seems a little simplistic to think the only holdup is "programming."

At some point the "receiver" that gets signals from the transmitters in the wheels needs to be "connected" to (the CAN-bus equivalent of) the main wiring harness. Are we sure that doesn't mean a completely different harness?

No comparison, I think, with ASC, as ABS is already standard and bike (since 01/'07) already has wheel speed information.

The oil cooler fan isn't "plug and play," either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts