BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all. This is my first post on this board, and I have been a K1200LT owner for just under 3 weeks now, having purchased a 2002 model with a bit under 25K miles on it.

I love the bike's handling, and riding it is a great deal of fun, but it doesn't have the comm system and consequently I can't plug in things like my ipod. I also want a CB, and I want the system to play through my helmet's headset.

So, I found a comm system off of a bike of about the same age (this is the comm system that has one rheostat on it - I presume for vox).

The unit I found includes the Midland CB radio (PN 75-820) and the CB interface (PN 99 00 0 001 510).

I don't know the history of this system, and don't even know if it works. However, it was forcibly removed from the bike that it was in and many of the connectors have been cut from the cables that are provided, though most of the connectors are provided - mostly in a little baggie that came with the system.. I've figured out most of the cabling, but there are a few things that I don't have straight yet, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help.

Specifically, in the CB kit, there are two cables that plug into the Midland CB head, one for remote audio and the other for remote mic. The connectors are present on the end of the cables that plugs into the CB head, but the connectors have been clipped from the other end. On the CB interface, there are 3 cables (with attached connectors) whose purpose I have not identified, but it does appear that two of these cables are for the remote audio and the remote mic. I have matching connectors for the connectors on these cables, and need to solder these connectors onto the proper cables that plug into the CB.

So, the question is: one connector out of the interface has brown and white wires, while the other has black and green wires. Which is the audio, which is the mic?

Also, out of this interface, there is a set of heavy red and black wires which have been clipped. I presume this is power, but would like to verify it.

I should note that I did pull the case on this interface unit apart and discovered that the entire circuit is epoxy-potted, rendering it unserviceable and also un-analyzable by any practical means.

Of the remaining cables out of the interface, one has a DIN6 connector attached which is in good condition, and the other one has a white molex-like connector and blue and orange wires. I have a mating connector taped to the control unit that looks like it was clipped from the CB mounting base's power connection. I therefore presume with fair confidence that this is the power connection for the CB. Correct?

Moving on to the main cable for the system (PN 65 41 2 337 297), there is a DB-25 connector with many cables coming out of it. One of these cables is short and terminates in a white connector which I strongly suspect plugs into the back of the radio unit, though I won't know for sure until I take the bike apart. All of the other cables on this part have had their connectors clipped, though I do have one badly corroded DIN-6 pair with cable tags labeled "2" that clearly comes from this cable.

From studying images of this cable on BMW parts sites, I have established that of the 4 sets of cables coming out of this connector, one cable terminates in a pair of spade connections while the other 3 each terminate in DIN connectors - presumably DIN6. Because I have a good DIN connector on the CB interface (and another sample in the badly corroded pair), I can easily establish how the wiring is supposed to go, so fixing this is not a problem.

However, although I have tentatively identified which cable is "2" since I have the clipped-off section, I don't know which of the other two DIN cables is which, and I don't know if it matters. Can the CB be connected to any of them? I would expect that two of them are intercom and the third is CB, and I would expect them to have different priorities, so I wouldn't think they can be connected willy-nilly. So which is which?

I also have identified the cable that requires the spade connectors; that was easy enough because there are only two connectors and a shield in the cable. But what is this cable for? Is it part of the push-to-talk circuit?

Basically, what it comes down to is this. I gave $41 including shipping for the whole shooting match including a CD changer (I already have one on the bike) as is, with cut cables. I have no idea of the history of the system; I don't know if any of it works. The cables were all cut close to the connectors; I have enough wire to make it usable.

But, given what BMW charges for these parts, if even one component works I am way ahead of the game. That main cable costs $375, but I can attach 3 new DIN connectors to it for about 7-8 bucks and an hour of work. Any other piece of the system that works saves me that many more hundreds of dollars. I'm good with electronics, have the time, and don't mind doing it, so why not.

However, I have no schematics or even wiring diagrams. That CB controller is potted, which keeps me from reverse engineering it.

Therefore, I would appreciate any help any of you can give.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jim,
Just read your post. I was trying to hook a midland 75-822 to my 2000lt and have copies of the wiring diagrams and pin outs for the connectors. Send me your address and I will be more than happy to mail you copies of what I have. Good luck with your project. God Bless,
Ed

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Jim, If it were me, I'd go ahead and buy a new intercom (or used with all of the connectors and wires terminated correctly) and start fresh. You are going to end of with a rats nest of splices and shorts that will cause more aggravation than most would want to deal with.

Good intercoms are fairly inexpensive and easy to install. They will last as long as the bike. A search on this site will pull up several with installation instructions..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Starcom Advanced comm system I bought last year. I only used the Starcom three or four times then decided to go Bluetooth. If your interested PM me and I will make you a good deal.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Liml8, dano gave you good advice but like you i love a good challenge! If possible once you get the cables and connectors sorted I would hook it up before burying the cables and see what works.

Good find.

Loren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts