BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Adding brakefluid to the rear reservior

Just got the LT back together after a new clutch, new output shaft seal, weap hole drilling, fluid changing week.
Got on it yesterday in 47 degree weather and rode it about 100 miles. Started to get a brake failure light about 65 miles in to the ride. the fluid in the rear reservoir is at the min mark. Just a thought, but could i put in fluid without taking the tupper ware back off by pulling the reservoir cap vent hose up and pouring, or injecting with a syringe, brake fluid in to the vent hose.
Would this hurt any thing.

Any thoughts.

"Airplane" :confused:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Re: Adding brake fluid to the rear reservoir

You don't have to take the Tupperware off. There are just three screws to take out to loosen the panel enough so you can move the panel enough to open the rear brake reservoir. Open the right saddle bag, lift the front seat, take off the rear seat, remove the two screws near the saddle bag just to the rear of the brake reservoir and the one screw at the intersection of the two Tupperware panels toward the front seat. That will give you enough play to get to the reservoir. I used a turkey baster like a big medicine dropper to add a few drops of fluid. A real medicine dropper would probably be better but I didn't have one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that makes sense to me. Sure beats stripping down the whole right side of the bike.

Thanks

"Airplane"

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Unless you have the "wig - wag" flashing lights adding fluid will not fix your warning light that is on steady. That is a different failure altogether. There is an ABS light and a general warning triangle. If they are flashing alternately then add fluid. If one is just on steady let us know which one. If the general warning triangle is on then you have a burned out low wattage element in the center tail light bulb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the wig wag flashing warning light situation. I put some fluid in the back half or the rear reservior and that fixed it. I pulled the rear seat and backrest and could get to the rear brake reservior cap just fine. I still think my vent hose idea would have worked without taking anything off of the bike. It would have taken too long for the fluid to drain down in to the reservior.

Thanks Air ;) plane.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Great. Actually the rear or back half is only for the front wheel circuit. The front half is shared between the rear wheel and rear control circuit. It is usually the back end that gets low due to two calipers and the wear of the pads.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's probably tempting to try the top-up using the vent tube idea, but there are 2 possible issues with it - fluid may not easily flow into the reservoir due to the space being sealed, and the vent hose may be dirty in side, which means you'll end up with contaminated fluid in your reservoir. I've actually been looking for a mini desicant breather to put inline on my breather tube as this would prevent any moisture travelling into the brake fluid. Haven't been able to track 1 down as yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Adding brake fluid to the rear reservoir

mwnahas said:
You don't have to take the Tupperware off. There are just three screws to take out to loosen the panel enough so you can move the panel enough to open the rear brake reservoir. Open the right saddle bag, lift the front seat, take off the rear seat, remove the two screws near the saddle bag just to the rear of the brake reservoir and the one screw at the intersection of the two Tupperware panels toward the front seat. That will give you enough play to get to the reservoir. I used a turkey baster like a big medicine dropper to add a few drops of fluid. A real medicine dropper would probably be better but I didn't have one.

Just used this method to top off my reservoir. Thanks to all senior/more knowledgable members for helping out those of us still learning!! :bowdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts