BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used on-board computer w/temp sensor for my 2000LT. Would any one know if the wire harness to accept the obc is there if it was not an original option? I can see the outline for the obc on the faring is that a 'pop out' or will I need to cut out the opening? All help is appreciated, I didn't want to remove the tupperware just to find out I need more stuff to make it work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you get some good, accurate info to this question? There was a computer with temp sensor on Ebay recently at a very good price but I did not bid because I did not have enough information to know if it could be installed. I think you will need to get a new right handle bar electrical control unit with the computer function button to be able to cycle through the computer functions while riding? Good luck I will be watching the posted responses. Steve

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I only remember threads mentioning that there were two wiring harness in 1999, with the heated seats from the factory and without heated seats from the factory lacked connections for heated seats. In 2000 there was only one harness that covered the heated seats.

Bob 00 Leaky Type

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SteveL said:
I hope you get some good, accurate info to this question? There was a computer with temp sensor on Ebay recently at a very good price but I did not bid because I did not have enough information to know if it could be installed. I think you will need to get a new right handle bar electrical control unit with the computer function button to be able to cycle through the computer functions while riding? Good luck I will be watching the posted responses. Steve
We may be talking about the same unit, I grabbed it because it was the first I had seen with the temp sensor. The wiring diagram shows one input from the right combo switch, I'm hoping that is just a momentary contact to ground so I can rig a simple switch to handle that part. The weather is getting nice again this week and I don't want to pull the plastic to look and have it sit in the garage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is what I found installing an OBC on my 2k LT that didn't have one from the factory.

The OBC frame harness connector was present, temp sensor connector was present.
The BC switch is not on the RH multi-function switch if OBC not factory installed.
The dash is different on the factory OBC equipped models, 46632347318 instruments cover (BLACK), is the proper dash cover.
The outline on the non-OBC factory model dash is larger than opening necessary to install the unit. (don't ask me how I discovered that!!)
The factory BC switch on the RH multi-function switch connects to the OBC unit at the electronics control unit under the tank.
If you could find a pancake style momentary switch it would fit inside the RH multifunction housing.

How I installed the OBC w/temp sensor -

Cut out the dash to accept the OBC
Glued plastic spacers on the back of the dash so the metal clips on the OBC unit will 'latch' behind them. Used silicone around the inner surface of the OBC flange to add some support.
Installed a momentary contact switch between pin #1 (brown/black stripe) and pin #6 (brown, ground)
I put the momentary switch to the left of the dash courtesy light; not super convenient but it works.
Installed the temp sensor bracket to the bottom headlight screw.
Appears to be working! :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Beside cutting the left side dash to fit the OBC the installation of a used OBC on my 99LT was really easy. Everything was pre-wired, the OBC and temp sensor connectors were there just waiting to be used. I did not add any switch. I operate the OBC computer directly from its 2 buttons. As RalfLT said the mark on the dash left side that outline the placement of the OBC is larger than needed. For some reason the OBC took some time to recognize that a temp sensor was plugged and displayed -40 as temperature for about 15mns before showing the right temperature. I installed this OBC last summer and it has been working flawlessly since.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Alpac said:
For some reason the OBC took some time to recognize that a temp sensor was plugged and displayed -40 as temperature for about 15mns before showing the right temperature.
I really hate saying these words, but they all do that. While working on the bike, if you unplug the temp sensor, it won't read correctly for awhile when plugged back in. This has something to do with the programming to keep the temp from pogoing in real time use.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpac said:
Beside cutting the left side dash to fit the OBC the installation of a used OBC on my 99LT was really easy. Everything was pre-wired, the OBC and temp sensor connectors were there just waiting to be used. I did not add any switch. I operate the OBC computer directly from its 2 buttons. As RalfLT said the mark on the dash left side that outline the placement of the OBC is larger than needed. For some reason the OBC took some time to recognize that a temp sensor was plugged and displayed -40 as temperature for about 15mns before showing the right temperature. I installed this OBC last summer and it has been working flawlessly since.
The owners guide says the Mode button on the OBC will not change the display once your moving. I didn't verify that but added the switch so I could change between modes while driving. The temp sensor also read -21 when first connected but settled down after a few minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts