BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding an additional fuse box to attach accessories to. I just got a Garmin Zumo that will mount near the clutch on the bars.

Where would be the best place to mount a fuse box. I figure most accessories will be around the front of the bike so it seems good to put it somewhere fairly easy to get to up front.

This will be the first time I take this apart. I've read some of the threads and downloaded instructions. With the weather here in Northern NV I might as well work on the bike. Can't ride with all the ice.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
put it on top of your battery, depending on the size you use.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just finished installing my Centech box this past weekend. I made a pair of Z brackets and slid one end under the battery hold down and mounted the Centech to the other end. Then I left enough slack in all the wires to be able to move it out of the way should I need to get to the battery without disconnecting everything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That sounds pretty good. How difficult is it to route wires from the handle bar and dash area back to the fuse box if it's mounted there?

·
Registered
888 Posts
From the handle bars you remove the handle bar covers and run it down past the center to under the nose. I did this with the nose cone removed so don't know how difficult it might be with it on.(in fact, the only tupperware left on the bike were the side cases.
You need to have the gas tank removed in order to run the wires back to under the seat. Put them inside a wire loom cover, the plastic kind you can get at Auto Parts stores. Secure the cover after you have the wires inside.
It may be possible to fish the wires under the tank without removing it but that is not really recommended.

If you are not familiar with removing the tupperware and gas tank you might want to go to a tech session in your area. There would probably be two or three people there that can help you.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
All of my fuses and relays are under the passenger seat, two allen screws and the seat is of,
putting all of your wires inside a split plastic harness is good advice but you don't need to route everything under the gas tank,
there is a lot of room under the left side of your stingray
that's where a lot of the factory wiring and plugins are.
(you will have to remove the left side tupperware to access it)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I put my Blue Sea fues box under the rear seat where the canister was. Worked great.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a slick looking mount under the rear seat. I like that spot since I was thinking of running a power outlet into the top box to hook chargers for cellphones and cameras to. It would b easy to route a circuit from there back to the box.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Retread said:
That's a slick looking mount under the rear seat. I like that spot since I was thinking of running a power outlet into the top box to hook chargers for cellphones and cameras to. It would b easy to route a circuit from there back to the box.
Like this? :)
under ten bucks at the auto parts store,
notched the plastic put a split rubber hose around it
and added a switch even though it only has power when the bike is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly it. Nice clean installation. Looks very slick.

Did you run a new circuit for that?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Retread said:

There is already power there. All you need to do is find the relevant cables that feed the powerlet socket. I got the wrong ones first time so my kit would only charge with the top box open!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I didn't know there was already power there so I ran a couple of wires by removing the left speaker to my fuse box under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ajlelectronics said:
There is already power there. All you need to do is find the relevant cables that feed the powerlet socket. I got the wrong ones first time so my kit would only charge with the top box open!
That would be the power outlet on the left side near the back right? That would work. Thanks. good tip.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Gary..
On my '05, there is not enough room under the pillion seat for the Blue Sea fusebox. Instead, I installed it, just this week as you see in this pic:

To the left I have a 10 gauge wire (short run) to a circuit breaker (covered with RTV for "insulation")...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where's a good place to buy the Blue Sea Fuse Box? It looks good in the pictures.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hooked up like this would things be always powered?

I'd like my GPS to be powered all the time, but other things only to have power when the bikes on.

For instance; the outlets for chargers in the top box. Those should only be powered when the bikes running. Otherwise I know I'd forget and drain the battery on a trip.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
You can feed your Blue Sea by using a relay that gets energized when the ignition is on by tapping the power from the heated seat connector.
Retread said:
Hooked up like this would things be always powered?

I'd like my GPS to be powered all the time, but other things only to have power when the bikes on.

For instance; the outlets for chargers in the top box. Those should only be powered when the bikes running. Otherwise I know I'd forget and drain the battery on a trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts