BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken off all the painted parts & did the disassembly to have my '01 LT painted. While it's down I'm doing all the scheduled maintenance.

Would appreciate any input on things to check or replace while I have it all apart. Or any recommended upgrades? I'm looking at the headlight upgrade now.

I'm already replacing all fluids, plugs, check valve clearance, air & fuel filter. Bike has 67k & the 60k service was done at the dealership by last owner.

I'll post a pic when I get the bike back together!

Mike

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
You might consider replacing all the flexible brake lines as they are all at least 11 years old and ready to fail. Do it now that way you won't get any brake fluid on your new paint job. Otherwise looks like you have hit all the required items.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it's still got the original throttle cables, replacing them with the newer upgrade kit would be a good mod... It's about $180 in parts, but the improvement to throttle pull is like butter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I will replace the brake lines & bleed the brakes. Throttle cable was repalced 2 years ago so that should be OK.

The bike is champaign now & I'm having it painted bright white! I will post a pic when it's done....

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Winky said:
White sounds awesome. I wanna see that!
+1. Absolutely want to see a photo of that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you done the weep hole yet? I only have 24k on my '05 and BOTH the clutch slave seal and the tranny seal are leaking. Drilled my weep hole and replaced 5 of 6 brake lines yesterday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will gladly post pics then I get it done.

Steve, Can you tell me what is the purpose of the weep holes. I've seen the posts but I don't understand why it's important.

Took all the painted parts to the paint shop today!

·
Registered
423 Posts
"The weep hole" is a small hole you would drill into the rear of the tranny/clutch housing where the slave cylinder is attached. There is a seal in there that has a tendency to leak in many of our bikes. When this happens, there is no sign of a leak anywhere and the leaking fluid can/will eventually travel down the clutch pushrod and contaminate the clutch, costing many beemer dollars. The weep hole will allow you to see the oil before the clutch gets ruined (oil on the ground) and at the same time *may* *hopefully* prevent the fluid from even travelling to the clutch. John Zeiler has an excelnt video showing the entire procedure as a sticky in this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts