BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added a set of rear LED brake lights... a much cheaper option that other brands out there!
These are made by Prostrobe and are a one piece unit that uses 3m tape to stick on.
Have used these before on an FJR for a couple of years and never had an issue with them.

Bought them for only $20 a piece and wire straight to the rear brake wires (Grey / yellow stripe & Brown):

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Definitely cheaper than the Tailblazer, but I really like having the flashing up high. It makes me visible not only to the car behind me, but also the one behind him. And even jacked up pickups can still see me apply the brakes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic of them off...

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Reactions: zamfield

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better clean up that plate before the cops stop you. It was clearly legible in the video.
🙂
Shhhh!
I don't think anyone else has noticed! LOL! 😁

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
After a certain amount of flashes, do they flash steady? In most states, they can only flash a certain number of times.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
After a certain amount of flashes, do they flash steady? In most states, they can only flash a certain number of times.
I have the same question. I believe it's more based on time than number of flashes, but the principle is the same. I use a Kisan signal minder, I think they claim it's 50 state legal. I know it's legal here, although I've been warned about letting off and reapplying the brakes too much while slowing. I'm all about making myself very visible.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Better clean up that plate before the cops stop you. It was clearly legible in the video.
🙂
Too late....hehehehe.....look at first post and video

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just added a set of rear LED brake lights... a much cheaper option that other brands out there!
These are made by Prostrobe and are a one piece unit that uses 3m tape to stick on.
Have used these before on an FJR for a couple of years and never had an issue with them.

Bought them for only $20 a piece and wire straight to the rear brake wires (Grey / yellow stripe & Brown):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHlo1uoHAU
Zamfield,
Those flashers definitely get attention.

For anyone else that like's this idea, here's another option.
It's a GS100A controller hooked up to the LED on the top case of my 2003 LT.
Flash a few times then stay on.
About $3 on eBay.

Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am missing something. The link shows a little different configuration than the video shows. Thanks for your help.
It's the same... I have 2 of them with a reflector in between them, that doesn't do anything except sit there! Just join the two red and two black together and wire to brown (black, ground) and gray / yellow stripe (live).

·
Registered
697 Posts
It's the same... I have 2 of them with a reflector in between them, that doesn't do anything except sit there! Just join the two red and two black together and wire to brown (black, ground) and gray / yellow stripe (live).

Ok, got it. Thanks a bunch. Looks like a good thrifty project right up my alley.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Both of these are great mods.

Great way to add visibility at a good price.

Since I have HyperLite R/S/T and the AdMore R/S/T kit in my top case I do not need either of these But I would be all over them if not.

I do not understand flash restrictions as with my brake lights I can modulate them on off all I care to and have for many years before I could afford HyperLites or some such thing. So I cant see how a cop could fuss at you for flashing?

Anyhow great thread and great ideas for Aux. lights.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Zamfield,
Those flashers definitely get attention.

For anyone else that like's this idea, here's another option.
It's a GS100A controller hooked up to the LED on the top case of my 2003 LT.
Flash a few times then stay on.
About $3 on eBay.

Ken

You Tube - GS100A Controller

I just installed the GS100A to LEDs on top case on the LT this afternoon. Purchased at Amazon.com for about $5. The install was very easy and the results are excellent.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Trying to get a definitive answer
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes. I am not preaching to the choir here but I can't see where it's universal law in all our states where that alteration is deemed OK by law.

I have read quite a few reviews from different states where this type of lighting is purposeful for emergency only. And even though some LEO's will be very obliging and only mention that it is or is not legit in a particular state how could we resolve such a situation.

On the back of my FirstGear Reiner jacket which comes with a loop to affix a battery operated tail light that flashes or stays on steady. Always visible always on if I want.

ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes.
Must not be too much of an issue as at least one of the v-twin brands has these systems as factory options. I think the key is that they are not on full time as emergency vehicle lights would be. Interesting conversation regardless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes. I am not preaching to the choir here but I can't see where it's universal law in all our states where that alteration is deemed OK by law.

I have read quite a few reviews from different states where this type of lighting is purposeful for emergency only. And even though some LEO's will be very obliging and only mention that it is or is not legit in a particular state how could we resolve such a situation.

On the back of my FirstGear Reiner jacket which comes with a loop to affix a battery operated tail light that flashes or stays on steady. Always visible always on if I want.

ride safe :bmw:
I can only attest to my locality, but here in Indianapolis, the city buses have the flashing/stop signals on the back side of them. Good enough for buses, good enough for Motorcycles, IMHO, here anyways. It may vary from State to State..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just checked the section of the vehicle code here in Oregon. Brake lights are allowed to flash intermittently on motorcycles only as long as they do not over ride turn signal function and must be red in color. They are not allowed to flash on any other motor vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts