BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a USB connector to the audio system to allow playing MP3 files on a USB drive? I'd be more than willing to give up my 6 CD changer and replace it with a way to allow USB music streaming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response but that is simply a charger and does tie into the audio system to play MP3 music. I'm looking for something like most cars have where you plug the USB drive into the connector and play music thru the audio system. I'm thinking that it would replace the CD changer so that there is power and controls can be used to forward/rewind/play just like a CD.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just use my i-phone and bluetooth it to my Sena headset. Works great.

Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks again for response...but that still doesn't answer my question. I want to tie into the audio system so that everything (radio, CD, GPS, phone, rider/passenger communication, etc) all work as designed.

Something like this:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Has anyone added a USB connector to the audio system to allow playing MP3 files on a USB drive? I'd be more than willing to give up my 6 CD changer and replace it with a way to allow USB music streaming.
I know this isn't exactly what your asking but they do make a cassette to sd card adapter if you have the cassette deck. There are several other adapters out there that others have used in place of the 6 disc changer. Enough digging in old posts should bring up a name or two.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, I bought a dual-plug USB socket that has a rubber waterproof cap. Got it online a couple of years ago. Way before that I bought a nifty "arm" from Touratech that attaches right into a mirror hole next to the clutch master cylinder. Originally I had a Garmin GPS unit bolted onto that arm. To power the USB unit I ran a fused positive lead to the battery and a ground wire all the way to the tail light socket. You want the USB to switch off with the key as otherwise it will be "hot" all the time.

I put a RAM mount onto the same arm. To power my iPhone that's mounted to the RAM from the USB unit, I purchased a very short four or five inch cable, also online. It came from China and cost me 78 cents total, including postage. How that business model works, I have no idea.

So now, when I'm riding, the phone is powered and I use Bluetooth earbuds to hear tunes or navigation directions.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Here's another response that doesn't answer your specific question: I replaced the stock, obsolete Nav III GPS with a Garmin 590LM, using the original mounting bracket on the stingray. The 590LM has a switched USB socket with a rubber weather cover. Although it doesn't run music through the LT's speaker system, you can use a bluetooth headset's speakers to listen to music. The added benefit is that you have access to the latest maps and don't encounter problems such as missing roads/motels/gas stations/etc due to outdated maps & data, as well as a larger screen, more features, and the ability to add a tire pressure monitoring system to the bike. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts