BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Actioncam on K1200LT?

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  kedwards005 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Does anyone have a SJ4000 actioncam mounted ons his K1200LT. Love to see some pictures....

#2 ·
Would a GoPro Hero 2 do?

www.youtube.com/bootsie1504

This is the site to visit. 75+ video's from 3 minutes to 17 minutes of interesting back road rides in North Carolina mountains to South Carolina Sandhills. From the front left of R 1200 GS and helmet mounted on the K1200LT.

Hope you enjoy!

Ride Safe, Ride Often!

#3 ·
Hey, Boots - need to getcher Bro here in Boerne geared up with one of those GoPro thingies. We don't have the roads here like you enjoy, butt he gets out and about enuf to find new ones in the Hill Country!

To the OP - we don't hear many negatives to camera mounting locations on motorbikes, butt the flexibility of non-permanent sites would seem best suited for both scenery and points of interest.

#4 ·
My sincere apologies to all, images attached of my locations for the mount. I use the adhesive supplied and security tied with nylon straps on the GS.

This mount has seen over 15K miles and it's fair share of liquid sunshine. Adhesive still holding strong.

If you'd like to see a testament to the adhesive strength, watch video "SC Hwy 97 Smyrna and SC Hwy 97 Hickory Grove", 60 plus year old concrete (original 1950's).

Note to Dick: start looking for a clean spot on his bikes and I'll send camera to him for a few months. I use the video to critique my style (or lack thereof), seem's to help me re-live the moment and spot things I did wrong (sometimes right).

Ride Safe, Ride Often!

#7 ·
GoPro oem mount (beveled adhesive) supplied.

I do not have the remote controller, so I usually start camera then mount bike, although on my R12GS I can reach over and down to activate/deactivate. NOT at all safe.

Saving my pennies to buy the latest generation with remote control and wi-fi.

Attachments

#9 ·
I use the GoPro Hero 3 Black. Unless it is mounted on my helmet or on my side of the windshield, I usually turn it on and then mount/ride. I've used the wrist mount to hold it on the passenger footpegs for a low shot that looks up but still shows the road surface and nearby traffic. I use the suction cup mount on the windshield, mirror and speedo/console surfaces. I use the sticky mounts on my helmet and luggage rack. And, I've mounted a telescoping pole across the lower side of the luggage rack and secured with zip ties to extend the camera about 3 feet to my left for that angle that makes it look like someone was riding next to me to get the shot.

Attachments

#14 ·
That's for sure. No using the "Officer, I never saw him" excuse with that LT.
:)

#12 ·
I have a GoPro 3+ Black with wifi remote. Attached is a picture taken from a "chesty mount" showing the remote mount on the stingray. The chesty mount is really only good if you're on a bicycle…. I have been playing around with different mounting locations for the camera. I also have the suction mount, but have not tried it, as the areas large enough to stick it is pretty limited and you would end up using a lot of angle attachments to get the right aim. Additionally, I would like to be able to plug it in to a powerlet outlet so I don't have to worry about battery life while on the road. Unfortunately, my remote doesn't seem to have a very long battery life and I haven't given it much thought on how to charge the remote on the fly. I currently have a camera mounting point on the left tip over bar which allows me to plug it in to the powerlet outlet, but limits the field of vision (you get a lot of the side of the bike). Next test will be to mount the camera in front of the windshield. :bmw:

Attachments

#20 ·
This is only my personal preference, but I've found that I get bored quickly when the video doesn't contain part of the bike or the rider. I think the most interesting viewpoint is from the rider's helmet as long as the rider isn't moving his/her head too quickly.

#19 ·
My mate in north LA is using a helmet mount of a different kind, along with his GoPro chest & bike mounts... it's a 360 deg swivel mount on a pole system... very unique point of view that's constantly changing.

Here's his first test ride

and here's a ride video from out on some trails somewhere... you see how the mount works when it's shown as a shadow.

Not sure what happened with exposure though, think he must have screwed up a setting, maybe had it on centre spot instead of compensating for the wider image.... but you'll get the idea of the rig anyway.

#22 ·
With the GoPro3+ mounted on the silver portion below the windscreen, is there any interference with the windscreen operation?

Thinking of mounting it above the tipover bar, in just enough so as to not crunch the camera if the big girl takes a nap!

#23 ·
I used two of the oem angle adapters included in camera kit, plenty of clearance.

When installing raise and lower WS several times in order to find the correct location and fit.

Also install a tether for insurance in case adhesive fails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.