BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried adding acetone to their gasoline to increase fuel mileage? Any effect on the fuel tank? Yeah, I know, sounds like crap, do a web search for "acetone and gasoline". I have a buddy that's running the mix (3oz acetone - 10 gallons gasoline) in his Concours and picked 4 mpg. He is now running out his second tank on the mix, then will go back to straight gasoline and evaluate.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
There was a thread on mixing gasoline and acetone on another forum. The theory was that the acetone would somehow cause the gasoline to vaporize better/easier/faster/more effeciently and increase fuel milage. Acetone will disolve a lot of platics and can't see picking up a couple miles to the gallon and chance dissolving who knows what, gs tank, fule pump, fuel injectors and any other fuel system components.
Many schemes, theories and ideas to increase fule mileage, very few of which have any metrit or work. I'd think that if they worked, we'd already be using them.

Many years ago we played a prank on a co-worker. Everyday at lunch he'd go jogging and we would take that opportunity to add 1 gallon of gas to his pick up. He kept meticulous records and it didn't take long before he was getting 66 mpg in a pick up. Don't think that didn't cause some excitment on his part. That was when gas was about $1.00 a gallon.

Alchohol is for drinking

Gas is for washing parts

Nitro is for racing

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have to agree with gunny, acetone is pretty potent stuff. I've used it mixed with kerosene to dissolve grease and oil. In addition to dissolving plastics and rubber, I'd be real concerned about it washing down the cly. walls and getting into the oil. My Lt gets pretty darn good gas milage somewhere between 49-52 mpg, when I had my 1200 GS the best was 46 mpg, and my clc best was 40.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
gunny said:
Many years ago we played a prank on a co-worker. Everyday at lunch he'd go jogging and we would take that opportunity to add 1 gallon of gas to his pick up. He kept meticulous records and it didn't take long before he was getting 66 mpg in a pick up. Don't think that didn't cause some excitment on his part. That was when gas was about $1.00 a gallon.

Heard a similar story of this happening, but the guys took it a stage further, and after a month of adding fuel, they started taking it out, and the owner took his car back to the dealer because his fuel consumption went down to about 18 miles a gallon. Neat trick to play :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Acetone

You guys sure it was not Toluene they said to put in the gas?
I have used Toluene for years to boost the Octane of our fuel for the wifes R1150rt. The damn thing pings bad on Regular fuel.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Acetone, Toluene, I've even heard of using mothballs to boost octane and increase fuel economy. I figure if the gasoline companies thought it was a good idea, they would put in the fuel blends. (I mean, if they could advertise that their fuel gave you more MPG, don't you think they would?)

Why take a chance damaging something in your fuel system? And who needs the hassle of mixing up your "special" fuel blend in another container first before filling your tank? There are plenty of ways to increase your MPG, most of them involving your driving habits. If your engine pings on regular, try using premium (the only thing I've ever put into the tanks of all four of my bikes).

I've been in the automotive repair field since 1972 (I'm currently a technical instructor and regional troubleshooter for an auto company) and I've seen all sorts of gadgets and additives claiming to increase mileage. I've yet to see any of them actually do as much to save fuel as checking tire pressures and changing your driving style. JMHO

·
Registered
185 Posts
Toluene

Is a main ingredient in octane boosters.
Been used for years by 2 cycle racers.
I had run it for years in my jetboat and 2 cycle marine engine.
It is safe. Did 12oz to every 10 gallons.

Not sure that it will have any effect on fuel mileage though.

I no nothing about acetone in fuel

·
Registered
499 Posts
Agreed Toluene is what you want

We used it in our race sleds (snowmobiles) for years back in the 70's, at the time it was much cheaper than Av fuel and really made the 2 stroke sing. On a calm winter night at some of the banked tracks you'd get higher than a kite from all the fumes drifting into the infield due to all of the alcohol and other additives everyone was running. Oh the sweet smell of a Super Modified running alcohol/Amsoil mix - those were the days.

Sorry I degress
I don't think you will get better gas mileage.

Check out this page on Toluene

Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
Agreed Toluene is what you want

We used toluene in our race sleds (snowmobiles) back in the 70's, at the time it was more available & cheaper than Av fuel and really made the 2 stroke sing. On a calm winter night at some of the banked tracks you'd get higher than a kite from all the fumes drifting into the infield due to all of the alcohol and other additives everyone was running.

Oh the sweet smell of a Super Modified running alcohol/Amsoil mix - those were the days.

Sorry I digress
I don't think you will get better gas mileage.

Check out this page on Toluene

Dave

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since mine usually gets in the 55-60 mpg range I see no reason to try something that isn't proven to increase mileage. I certainly wouldn't trust acetone as I have used that to remove paint. It removed the paint very fast and the gloves the company gave me for protection dissolved almost as fast!

·
Registered
103 Posts
acetone for fuel

I think acetone has a very low ignition point and don't think it will do any thing but cause detonation or evaporate in the tank. I believe your friend is thinking tolene. I used a lot of acetone in my business for cleaning
purposes when an oily film is not wanted, also it is very harmfull to you because it is absorbed through the skin as well as being inhaled. acetone is very good for disolving instant glue or for making it take longer to set up.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 46k mi.
2003 LT anthracite 30k mi.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Refinerys and Toluene

Refiners use Toluene to boost the octane of No lead fuels and then call it Premium. This is a common practice at a lot of smaller Refiners so adding Toluene to fuel to raise the octane is not something new at all.
I would say that if you have ever ridden in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota you have used Toluene.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts