BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 5 hour ride today in 36F weather. I had my electric vest on all the time.
When I got home and pulled the plug from the jack, the plug was hot !! How hot ?
well I thought I'd burned my paw.. Is this normal ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Heat is the by product of a current flow through a resistance. In your case it sounds like it translates to a dirty / bad contact inside of the accessory socket. Disconnect power to the socket, clean it out and try again.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
High resistance...

Most of us have a "high resistance" to checking electrical stuff, but I found heating can also be caused by too small a wire for the "load".. If you have created your own wire/connection, might want to ensure the size of the wire is correct.

On my own, I found the wire had flexed to the point it was worn and had reduced in size. That in turn created additional "resistance" and heating of the wire. The socket itself was not warm at the contact points, but closer to the weak point in the wiring.

Bottom line, it's not right for wiring connectors to get hot.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The receptacle "looks" fine...I use it for charging and no problems.
The BMW plug at the end of the BMW coiled cord for the vest was really hot.
Plug "looks"good but..................
Any way to check the plug/wire ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unscrew the housing of the plug assembly and check if the wires connecting to the plug have come loose. I believe that there is each a tiny screw to secure them to their respective receptacle ( positive & negative)

Hope this helps......

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got It !!!

You guessed it................( I mean thought it out)
screw inside plug was barly making contact..............................
I will be warm again...........................................................
Guess I'll take the day off and ride to test it ....Wooooo-Hooooo

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
good-n-tight

I have Widders. The wires are held with a simple screw. So, I removed the wires, applied solder(tinned) the ends really well, cleaned inside of connector and tightened back inside the connector, "good-n-tight". Works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts