BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. What is the simplest way to install an accessory/phone charger on my 2009 LT? I know I can run a wire straight from the battery, but I want the wires to be hidden. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
HTML:
+1. Not cheap, but clean and easy.
Yes, I was shocked at the price in the BMW place. $40+. But I've seen after-market ones on line for $20 or so. I'm lucky - I have an after-market radio that has a USB port.

If you have a cig lighter USB adapter, you can get a BMW acc cig lighter that might be cheaper, but it's getting kinda messy there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wired a Battery Tender Female Power Port http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/72729/i/battery-tender-female-power-port?suggest=1&term=614913
directly to my batt and then plugged in a two-port USB adapter into it (Fits under the seat). I then drilled a hole inside the oddment box on the left side and fished a couple of flat-cord USB cables from oddment box to the lighter socket, going under the tuperware. I sealed the entry hole with RTV. I ran two cords so I could run a second small item.
Works with my un-smart phone which has a smaller footprint than smart phones. My phone fits in the oddment box. Yours may not.
I spent $11 on the power port, $10 on the usb 2 port adapter (staples)and a few bucks on the flat-cord cables (staples)
You could also run USB cables to the trunk for a place for larger phones.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at using the bmw adapter, but if I am understanding it correctly. The only plug is on the left side, near where your knee would be. I would like to have it as hidden as possible. I was hoping someone had an easy option to put a plug in or near the dash without tearing all the plastic off. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash so I need a charger for it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at using the bmw adapter, but if I am understanding it correctly. The only plug is on the left side, near where your knee would be. I would like to have it as hidden as possible. I was hoping someone had an easy option to put a plug in or near the dash without tearing all the plastic off. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash so I need a charger for it.
Sometimes life just makes you say "ok, ok, I'll remove a little plastic."

Reactions: Munmi

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
My method of adding a USB outlet wasn't cheap, but I got a new GPS unit as a byproduct.... I replaced the original Nav III GPS with a Garmin 590LM, which has a USB outlet as part of the cradle wiring. The 590 sits on the original Nav III mount, and the USB outlet peeks out the side of the mount on top of the stingray. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
That left side outlet has a twin of sort on the right side. The wires, at least, are there and could be used for a USB socket. That would entail drilling a hole in the tupperware, but nothing radical.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
An option you could look at is to wire to the map-light wire, instructions how to tap into it are here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/9431-wiring-map-light.html
especially post #14.
I added a USB port that is tied under my BMR shelf, that powers a Go-Pro now, but the map-light wires used to run my GPS for years.

I dismantled a cheap cigarette lighter adapter to do it, but there's lots of cheap adapters on Ebay these days.

Can see the port in this pic under the shelf below the GoPro. I've tidied it up a lot since this.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts