BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  brettb10 
#1 ·
Throttle action is very sticky. Saw elsewhere on the forum advice to first try lubing the cables from the top end. It was described as a simple job.

I took out the Clymer model and followed the simple instruction: remove one screw, remove bottom part of throttle cover on handlebar, exposing cables and lube.

The Clymer portrayed the throttle cover assembly as two pieces: the cover itself, and then a curved plastic piece through which the cables were routed and to which the cable tubes were connected.

But when I started to do this, (l) I couldn't get the cover bottom to separate and (2) it sure looks like the plastic piece through which the cables are routed is part of the cover bottom.
I couldn't see any seam or point of separation (although my old eyes are getting worse and I couldn't get the best angle for the examination).

I didn't want to force anything, so I restored the screw and now ask for advice. Thanks.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

See less See more
#2 ·
There are two Phillips screws that hold the bottom cover in place. Both? are silver color. The cover snaps into place.

To remove it I gently pry on the section closest to the throttle.

If you can't down on the ground to look up at the screws you'll need a mirror. (You'll also need that to remove the screws that hold the top part of the handle bar covers in place.)

The 90 degree piece of plastic that the cables go into is made out two sections that also snap together. The inner piece is bolted to the brake reservoir. The piece that snaps onto it will come off if you stick a small screw driver blade in between both pieces at the bottom of the 90 degree plastic piece.

Here is an exploded diagram from MAX BMW’s online parts:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51717&rnd=03252011

Here is a link to threads on cable replacement:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1666712

best from gorham
Bob

#4 ·
While you can do this, I would not.

The throttle cables are Teflon-lined.

BMW expressly states they are not to be lubed (swells/destroys the liner).

The correct way to deal with this problem is to replace the cables.

I no longer remember when the updated cable arrangement was introduced, but I believe it was sometime after your 2003. If you don't want to pop the extra bux for the updated arrangement at the throttle grip, buying replacements for the original cables is the way to go.

#5 ·
Mark,

I discovered that the teflon lining is only the first five or six inches of the cable at the grip end. After that it is conventional cable and sleeve. Maybe we need to re-think lubrication as an option. I cut mine up after the clutch job when I found the TB end frayed.

#6 ·
jzeiler said:
Mark,

I discovered that the teflon lining is only the first five or six inches of the cable at the grip end. After that it is conventional cable and sleeve. Maybe we need to re-think lubrication as an option. I cut mine up after the clutch job when I found the TB end frayed.
Interesting! How old was the cable? How much of the cable did you disect? (i.e., are you sure you got all of the liner, vs. just an end portion?)

The last recent-vintage airhead cable I had a part was Telfon lined its entire length -- but if the latest LT cables are only lined on the end(s), I would think lubrication would not just be possible, but in order!

Still, I have to say I'm *really* surprised at the idea of only the last 5-6" being lined -- just doesn't seen right BMW would mix a lube-required and a no-lube required design in the same cable (unless, of course, this is yet another "cost saving" (for BMW) change/contract out to a third world supplier item).

#8 ·
ljjohns said:
Throttle action is very sticky. Saw elsewhere on the forum advice to first try lubing the cables from the top end. It was described as a simple job.

I took out the Clymer model and followed the simple instruction: remove one screw, remove bottom part of throttle cover on handlebar, exposing cables and lube.

The Clymer portrayed the throttle cover assembly as two pieces: the cover itself, and then a curved plastic piece through which the cables were routed and to which the cable tubes were connected.

But when I started to do this, (l) I couldn't get the cover bottom to separate and (2) it sure looks like the plastic piece through which the cables are routed is part of the cover bottom.
I couldn't see any seam or point of separation (although my old eyes are getting worse and I couldn't get the best angle for the examination).

I didn't want to force anything, so I restored the screw and now ask for advice. Thanks.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

From the sounds of things....I'd almost bet you have a frayed cable.....probably towards the bottom end.....just above the motor. Mine went bad somewhere around 60K........It's a bit of a PITA to do....but after you've done it you'll pat yourself on the back. Best of Luck

Pat

#9 ·
mneblett said:
Interesting! How old was the cable? How much of the cable did you disect? (i.e., are you sure you got all of the liner, vs. just an end portion?)

The last recent-vintage airhead cable I had a part was Telfon lined its entire length -- but if the latest LT cables are only lined on the end(s), I would think lubrication would not just be possible, but in order!

Still, I have to say I'm *really* surprised at the idea of only the last 5-6" being lined -- just doesn't seen right BMW would mix a lube-required and a no-lube required design in the same cable (unless, of course, this is yet another "cost saving" (for BMW) change/contract out to a third world supplier item).
These were the factory cables on my 05 (not the new style 05 cables everyone switched to) and when I pulled out the inner cables there was only 5-6 inches of teflon up at the grip end. Now it could be there was a seperation but at the same spot on both cables? No I tossed them some time ago or I would go back and look. Most likey they were fully lined and just came apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.