BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a HEX ezCAN Accessory Manager and I have to connect to the battery, Just wondering how you guys that have it routed your cables, where you mounted the unit and most importantly, how you accessed the battery (which pieces of the fairing you removed).

Thanks in advance.
AJ

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am going to install a HEX ezCAN Accessory Manager and I have to connect to the battery, Just wondering how you guys that have it routed your cables, where you mounted the unit and most importantly, how you accessed the battery (which pieces of the fairing you removed).

Thanks in advance.
AJ
So I have the CANsmart fitted, which is basically the same thing. I connected the neg to the neg of the battery (which you can get to, although try and keep contact when connecting otherwise you will have to reset date etc as the service light will show). The positive connection use the jump fly lead connection, so you don't need to remove the battery. There is enough cable to put the unit to the rear, under the tail behind the rear seat, which is where you connect to the CANbus. Routing is easy, from the battery and up the right hand side under the seats. The battery is under the panel on the right side bottom, forward of the triangular panel. Can't remember, but think its 3 torx screws to remove (check your handbook)

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Did the same way for my CANsmart for additional lighting and tail light.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Here is a pic from my 15 RT where I located my second or third ezCAN.

Here is where it lives on the GS.

And this is the GS in all it's electronic glory. There is a ezCAN under the towel but at that time I was beta testing so could not show it. It is the new silver one in the pic above.

Reactions: nh1200c

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicely done sir! The way you installed the black unit in your top pic would have been ideal, but there is no room on the 1250RT. I had to install it as suggested by Casbar, in the cubby under the tail behind the rear seat all the way in the back. This caused me to have to extend the power and ground wires, but that really wasn't a big deal. Now I just have to find and install the extra brake lighting. Thank you all again!

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
26 Posts
Nicely done sir! The way you installed the black unit in your top pic would have been ideal, but there is no room on the 1250RT. I had to install it as suggested by Casbar, in the cubby under the tail behind the rear seat all the way in the back. This caused me to have to extend the power and ground wires, but that really wasn't a big deal. Now I just have to find and install the extra brake lighting. Thank you all again!
I wonder if I might ask for pictures of how you did it for the 1250RT? I intend to put an ezCAN into my 2020 1250RT also and would sure appreciate following some of your bread crumbs. 😊

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Well you are going to use the brake light lead from the ezCAN correct? All you have to do is get to that lead from the ezCAN to the brake light. I used a Denali B6 brake light and it works great on the GS. On the RT I used a Givi top box with Admore lights, and a set of Skene P3 I think they were.

Your six needs light to wake people up. I used to always pump my brake lights at a stop until I got a car behind me. Now the ezCAN and the Denali give me brake and deceleration lights and that is good stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if I might ask for pictures of how you did it for the 1250RT? I intend to put an ezCAN into my 2020 1250RT also and would sure appreciate following some of your bread crumbs. 😊
Absolutely! Here is where the EZ-Can lives. You can see it in the photo. I used a small piece of Velcro to hold it in place under the rear cowling and I was careful not to cover what appears to be a fan or vent on the unit behind it. It plugs into the RDC unit indicated by the yellow arrow.

I routed the EZ-Can factory length of wiring that connects to the battery along the right side of the bike as indicated by the yellow arrows. You can see the green sticker on the EZ_Can fuse holder (marked with a green arrow) by the cross beam. It is readily accessible should it ever need to be changed.

Because the battery cables on the EZ-Can were not long enough, I had to extend them. I soldered and then used heat shrined tubing over the connections.

In put the extended wires into loom and then then tucked them under the Bosch Audio brain harness (obviously not the official part name :) ).

Last, I connected the ground wire (brown) to the negative terminal on the battery and the positive wire (orange) to the positive battery connection point. Once thats installed, close everything back up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Absolutely! ...
Clean install for sure Firecop1! Thank you for the pictures and I will be following your lead when I get started on that project. Today it is Ilium Sportboards to install along with a side stand foot enlarger.

Larry

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Just an FYI, Firecop1 - that "fan or vent" that you didn't want to cover up is actually the sound output for your alarm! So, it's good that you didn't cover it up. or the alarm, when triggered, could be a little muted!!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an FYI, Firecop1 - that "fan or vent" that you didn't want to cover up is actually the sound output for your alarm! So, it's good that you didn't cover it up. or the alarm, when triggered, could be a little muted!!! :)
Lol...Thanks for that info PadG. I had no idea thats what it was. Glad I left it alone!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean install for sure Firecop1! Thank you for the pictures and I will be following your lead when I get started on that project. Today it is Ilium Sportboards to install along with a side stand foot enlarger.

Larry
Happy to share Larry! Good luck with your projects. I made this lazy susan earlier today to spin my bike. I just have to decide how I want to cover the top of it. I may use grip tape or coat it with something. I am waiting for my Horing Rear wheel plug and Swingarm pivot cover to get here so I can pop those on. Also trying to decide what additional brake lights I want to add to the rear. I may build a custom plate for two LED lights and with two mini flag holders and install it under my license plate. Gotta hit the drawing table and figure it out.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
... Also trying to decide what additional brake lights I want to add to the rear. I may build a custom plate for two LED lights and with two mini flag holders and install it under my license plate. Gotta hit the drawing table and figure it out.
I installed the ezCAN last week and have the Denali dual brake light kits which flank the license plate (B6 Dual LED Brake Light Kit with License Plate Mount) on back order from Twisted Throttle.

In the interim I have mounted one of the Denali B6 units below the license plate and it is working well. I also plan to have the ezCAN control the top-case light but haven't identified the correct wires yet at the top-case plug.

Denali B6 Unit.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use Skene lighting which includes turn signals. It attaches to the license plate so easy installation. It also flashes six times when braking and then goes solid. Here are some pics:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts