BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the voices of experience...

Now riding a 2007 K1200LT and preparing for a long tour at the end of the month. Contemplating highway "J" pegs or similar, and a backrest. I've found a few options but would appreciate hearing any likes/dislikes out there?

Thanks,
John
---------
1984 Honda Nighthawk 750, RIP
1992 K100RS, still rides nice with 100K+
2007 K1200LT, lovin' it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found an incredibly good deal on a Bakup rest and have been really happy with the excellent support it gives. It has more difference in comfort than switching to my Rick Mayer seat. Both together have made my bike perfect for me. Others may have experience to share with other backrests. There's a Bakup rest on eBay now for $269 OBO. That's still high, but the best easy deal if you want it now.

Reactions: northernpilot

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a pair of J-pegs I would sell. $200 + actual shipping for everything you would need. J-pegs, safety bars (crash bars), covers ( some scratches) already cut out for J-pegs, springs and balls, bolts. Can take some pictures if interested. Chrome moulding not included.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Looking for the voices of experience...

Now riding a 2007 K1200LT and preparing for a long tour at the end of the month. Contemplating highway "J" pegs or similar, and a backrest. I've found a few options but would appreciate hearing any likes/dislikes out there?

Thanks,
John
---------
1984 Honda Nighthawk 750, RIP
1992 K100RS, still rides nice with 100K+
2007 K1200LT, lovin' it!
To keep this short, I'll refer you to my current ad on eBay for pictures, etc. of my '07 set up for long distance touring. Basically, the stock seat really sucks, so I replaced it with a Russell Day Long saddle and backrest. I never tried J-pegs, but after getting the RDL, really didn't need them. The backrest is nice, but prevented me from using a hydration backpack (from Costco that you can currently get for about $25). I ended up buying a used Veskimo cooling vest system from another BMW Luxury Touring forum member as it can get pretty miserable in above 85 degree riding. I also installed a BMR luggage rack to sit over the pillion seat, where I could mount the Veskimo 9 qt. cooler. On the stock seat, I rode in misery from SoCal to Yellowstone and back and swore to never again go on a long distance ride with the stock seat.

After getting the RDL, backrest, and Veskimo accessories, I took a 25 day, 25 state tour (including the '14 CCR in Chattanooga) in complete comfort.

If you plan on taking a long distance ride in the summer through some of the hotter climate states (high temp, low humidity), a hydration vest will not work well. In addition, I would plan on doing something about the seat (depending on your budget). It is too late to even attempt getting a custom seat made (I have a ride in build date at RDL for my new GTLE on 10/6/16), so I would suggest looking in to getting something like a Beadrider or Airhawk pad. Good luck on your choices! :sun:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts