BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll,
A little bit unrelated to LT issues. I haven't had my LT long enough, nor riden it much, to have any issues with it. My other girl is a 94 R1100RS and, untile I got my 03 K1200LTE, was my pride and joy. A strange thing has occured with it during cold weather. The ABS system won't arm. The two red lights alternate, but when I start to move, it doesn't arm like normal. And it seems to work fine during warmer weather. EI, above freezing. :confused:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Check the brake fluid levels.
2 chambers in the rear reservoir.
Both need to be full, not just above minimum. Yup, even a few CCs can make a difference.

if no joy with that, then check battery voltage. No margin for marginal batteries on these bikes. Replace the battery if it's anything less than perfect. Suggest something like the Odyssey PC680

·
Miles of Smiles
1,055 Posts
Just A Thought On the Start Cycle

I know this is a long shot, but I had reason to remember a technique about starting the LT. During the initial start when the key is turned on and the electrics self test, do not hold the brakes (foot or lever) If you need to prevent rolling, then the bike is in 1st gear any way "Isn't It" !!! to stop it rolling forward and falling over off the side stand. Sure I read that in the owners manual. Must be my old age creeping in. HTH

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Thanks for the input guys. I shall check the fluid level- - - hadn't thought of that, and that would explain the temp sensitivity. Battery is newer gell cell and E=13.5+ so that isn't it. I be at work now and shall be off shortly. Then it is nappy time. :sleep: By noon it should be warm enough to drag my toys out and do some play time, , , and hopefully take my LT for an afternoon outing. The wife hasn't had a ride yet, so hope to give her a maiden voyage. :dance:
Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
comstocklt said:
Hi ya'll,
A little bit unrelated to LT issues. I haven't had my LT long enough, nor riden it much, to have any issues with it. My other girl is a 94 R1100RS and, untile I got my 03 K1200LTE, was my pride and joy. A strange thing has occured with it during cold weather. The ABS system won't arm. The two red lights alternate, but when I start to move, it doesn't arm like normal. And it seems to work fine during warmer weather. EI, above freezing. :confused:
Mine did that too, only when it was cold, the ABS lights would flash and once it was warmer, would not flash.

Got some information on this site about checking the brake fluids and sure enough. It was the rear brake fluid, added and no more blinky ABS lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Zotter. You had it pegged corectly. The front res was almost empty. I didn't have any dot4 and didn't want to make a trip into town just for that. Will get some tomarrow and that should take care of that. Thanks ! ! You da man. :D I'll let you know for sure tomarrow.
Thank you,

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,349 Posts
comstocklt said:
The front res was almost empty.
Roger,

Better check the condition of the brake pads as the reservoir should not be that low unless they are nearly worn out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Job done

This is great. Thanks for all the help guys. I picked up a jug of DOT4 this am. Got home about noon and since I had some time decided to flush the whole system and give everything a going over. Test ride up the road and everything hunky dorey. To celebrate, I fired up the LT and went for a cruse. I just can't get over the ride. Almost forgot what was the plan, very tempting to just keep on keepin on. . . :rotf: Anyway, don't have license on the RS, so couldn't take it on highway.
Thanks to all,

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Cool, good to hear it was an 'easy' one.

When it gets cold, the fluid in the brake system acts a tad like the goop in a thermometer. Shrinks back a bit. If the fluid level is a tad lowish already, the cold can be enough to cross the threshold and trigger the blinky lights.

Well, at least it sounds good when doing 16oz curls with the boys.

Important part is your bike is fine and life is good!! :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts