BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 K 1200LT previous owner had removed the ABS warning light bulbs as they indicated a fault, I have not been able to find the problem, today I removed the ABS valve and took it apart--major job-- WARNING-- the valve has 4 big high tension springs inside and can seriously hurt you when the last of the bolts are removed and the coil springs expand, more like an explosion.
Question---Can the ABS be removed and the brakes lines connected directly from Master cylinders to calipers? The bike only had 1911 miles on it when I bought it in 2005 and I do not think the fluid had ever been changed, the inside of the abs valve had some corrosion but from what I saw not enough to cause failure.
Sonny

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sonny, That's a really interesting question that I will immediately state I don't know the answer to but any good BMW shop can. I heartly remommend BMW of Atlanta in Merietta, GA. I take mine there from Bham due to the excellent work and great attitude.

I'm guessing it can be removed since the 2000 model has the system prior to the integral system in place now. My 2003 has the integral power brakes and is a totally different type of system. On mine, the ABS system cannot be disconnected unless you are willing to ride without brakes! This at least is as it was explained to me by a BMW mechanic in Atlanta.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings Sonny.

My '99 LT also has had the ABS dash warning lights removed by the previous owner. I had a BMW tech trace the problem to both, yes both ABS wheel sensors. I replaced them with two operating sensors I picked up from the Beamerboneyard and all is well again.

Let me know how you get on.

Kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts