BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone the size and style for the bits too unassemble the abs unit.
Replaced unit on my 2005.
jim

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I could guess but I have no Idea what you are talking about, perhaps you should start again? and invest in a workshop manual.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
They are either Tri-wing or Torx security bits depending on the year. Early iABS are triwing while 05 and later have been torx with the hole in the middle.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They are either Tri-wing or Torx security bits depending on the year. Early iABS are triwing while 05 and later have been torx with the hole in the middle.
John,
Thank you - I was aware they had used both formats, but could not remember when they switched over from one to the other.

For the OP that asked the question, I have included a composite photo of both iABS modulator variation.

He should have no problem finding these bits in a kit at a good tool store. Here is an example of a bit kit on AMAZON - I cannot say how good this kit is as I am just showing it as an example of the stuff available on the market nowadays:
https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Tamper-Proof-Security-Screw/dp/B01HIUGGQQ/ref=sr_1_4

Attachments

Reactions: Patric

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Thought the 05 and latter were pentalobes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Sorry just to clarify:
More of a wavy star shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
343 Posts
I assume you have the module on the bench after deternining it needed to be rebuilt. In so doing, i found that drilling out the heads worked best.

The video below should help...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do not intent to do the module work my self but need some help on removal. Is there a video anywhere on how to remove the actual module from the bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's on a 2005 K1200LT.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Since they are torx, can someone please tell me which size. As none of mine seem to fit.
I just checked it again tonight, it is a T-15 Torx security bit (with the hole).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just checked it again tonight, it is a T-15 Torx security bit (with the hole).
The head of these bolts are made to not take the T-15 Torx security bit as easily as a regular Torx so you will have to persuade the bit to fit with a little tap of the hammer once you know they are lined up properly on the bolt head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The head of these bolts are made to not take the T-15 Torx security bit as easily as a regular Torx so you will have to persuade the bit to fit with a little tap of the hammer once you know they are lined up properly on the bolt head.

No you just need the correct security bits. Some have 5 points and some 6 points I believe the abs module uses the 5 point. Both are easily available in sets online. With the correct bits the screws come out easily. No need to hammer on it which might cause more damage to the pressure sensors.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No you just need the correct security bits. Some have 5 points and some 6 points I believe the abs module uses the 5 point. Both are easily available in sets online. With the correct bits the screws come out easily. No need to hammer on it which might cause more damage to the pressure sensors.
My bad... thanks for noting!.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
OK so you got me I just went and looked at what I used and it looks like a T-15 but it is not marked. Sure enough it only has 5 points not six. My Bad.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They are not torx but pentalobe. Bought a set and may take the unit apart.
Let me know if you need some of the specific o-rings these units take, and be careful when taking off the clutch at the end of the two motors as the bits inside will fall out never to be found again if not done right AMHIK.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I purchased a unit from 2007 bike works great. Just I might fix the old one, but
looks like parts are nil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts