BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one time somebody took an ABS unit apart, cleaned it and posted pics.
Any ideas where the pics and or file can be found?
Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
MountianMama said:
At one time somebody took an ABS unit apart, cleaned it and posted pics.
Any ideas where the pics and or file can be found?
Thanks
Would they be in here? Hope so. Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
The last one is the one I was looking for.
I actually found it on my PC somewhere.
I think it is worth a try, it seems to make sense.
Considering how back my fluid was, it stands to reason that those little pistons could be gummed up.

I am sure a good cleaning and inspection will at least be good for my peace of mind.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
If the fault # was the one for a stuck piston fault you have a good chance of restoring it.

I totally missed the year in your signature line.

I was going to try this procedure on Steve Rowe's second bike but he totalled it before I got a chance. Let us know how you fare.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I didn't find this until after I dug into mine, I apparently stopped short of the actual piston (about page 8). Ended up buying a new ABS unit. If it goes belly up, I'll be trying this first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
MountianMama said:
Thanks guys.
The last one is the one I was looking for.
I actually found it on my PC somewhere.
I think it is worth a try, it seems to make sense.
Considering how back my fluid was, it stands to reason that those little pistons could be gummed up.

I am sure a good cleaning and inspection will at least be good for my peace of mind.
Be very carefull taking the valve apart, use some kind of clamp to hold the case together when removing the screws, it has four extremely strong springs inside that you will not believe how strong they are and what it will do when the last screw is removed with out a clamping device. DAMHIK

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only plan on going as far as the plunger piston.
But thanks anyways

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
jzeiler said:
I was going to try this procedure on Steve Rowe's second bike but he totalled it before I got a chance. Let us know how you fare.
John: I have the same problem and hope to start on it soon. I do have another ABS pump already on hand, if things go way wrong. Only problem, I've never gone that far into the LT, so getting to it will be the biggest problem.

tcars
John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
John,

Getting to the top to do the piston fix is fairly easy, maybe only one piece of tupperware to remove. Changing out the unit is not nearly as bad as the IABS ones.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
edmann said:
What causes the stuck piston? i had the piston failure test on mine, I replaced the unit with a new one

Usually gunk and crud that builds up. Regular flushes help eliminate these effects.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Thats my guess as well.
However, in my limited dive into the ABS, there wasn't anything obvious. I don't think it takes much contamination to make it stick. Give the high price of the ABS unit and the low success rate from prior posts of folks trying to get them repaired, it provides a good incentive for those regular fluid flushes.

·
Registered
795 Posts
MountainMama – just wondering if you ever had any success with the procedure from the ADV Rider site. One of my spring to-do items is to get my ABS working on my LT. I figure my options are:
1. Try this procedure from the ADV site (free – or almost)
2. Send it to Module Masters ($300)
3. Buy one used off Flea-Bay with no guarantee and probably about ready to fail ($400 -$800)
4. Buy one from BMW that will fail at some point down just after the warranty expires($2,000)
If I sound a bit jaded it’s because I have about as much faith in BMW ABS as I do in Congress, I and my other family members with BMWs have just had bad luck (1 out of 5 BMWs still has properly and consistently functioning ABS – and that’s ABS I on a 96 R1100RS).

Anyway, 3 and 4 are pretty much out because of the whole cost vs. value equation, which leaves me with 1 or 2. So I’m figuring to try option 1 from the ADV site, and if it doesn’t work mail it to MM. Of course if this has been tried and didn’t work I’ll just save my time and mail it off to MM.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I had an ABS unit fail (piston fault) on my LT and I did all the procedures. I finally replaced it with one from a dismantler... Based in California. They took in a friends LT that had very limited miles.. 11K IIRC and because I felt they knew what they were doing and offered me a 90 day warrantee I decided to pay the price. I paid almost $800 including shipping but worked out for me.. put about 8K on the bike since and it works. It was really scary looking at what was out there selling on the 'open market'.

It is worth knowing exactly what fault you have before you attempt any repair. Knowing what you have you might be able to create one using another defective that has a dissimilar problem....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts