BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Colorado - my first post - I hope that I don't appear the newbee that I am as have been riding many years however have only recently found the "orgasmic joy" (and expense) of owning an LT - I wasn't sure where to post this so here goe's - I have to do a lot of stopping on a grade and noticed the ABS pump running (a good thing I suppose?) - how long (in time) is it safe to hold a brake on waiting for traffic/etc - hey we got the "reverser" now give me a parking brake, eh? Am I at risk of burning something up prematurely or is the system designed to take it (type III I thinks) - Thanks for your thoughts

Bill

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,128 Posts
I would say "as long as you need to" is OK. The biggest issue is how HARD you hold it as the load changes based on input pressure. If you are squeezing it to the grips all the time then it will not be good for it. Just apply the least amount of lever pressure to hold the bike. If your alternator was weak and the battery weak then you could end up with a voltage problem with too much application.

Not a lot of evidence here that this has been a wide spread issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts