BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear BMW forum
I've been trying to remove the ABS sensor ring from the rear rotor of a LT with no luck. I've tried heating the rotor in the oven then drop ice on the center and pry off the ring. Still no luck. :( The local BMW dealer said they don't remove them just replace with a new rotor assembly. I have a EBC rotor to use so stock rotor will not help. Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Signed confused in Austin :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
katnapinn said:
Dear BMW forum
I've been trying to remove the ABS sensor ring from the rear rotor of a LT with no luck. I've tried heating the rotor in the oven then drop ice on the center and pry off the ring. Still no luck. :( The local BMW dealer said they don't remove them just replace with a new rotor assembly. I have a EBC rotor to use so stock rotor will not help. Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Signed confused in Austin :D
Try the reverse. Freeze the unit,use a torch to heat the ring and lever off.
Would a 3 jaw puller work?

dan
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanMartin said:
Try the reverse. Freeze the unit,use a torch to heat the ring and lever off.
Would a 3 jaw puller work?

dan
I tried a 2 jaw puller with no love. I'll try to freeze rotor then heat rink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Hello Steve

I take it that you are installing an EBC rear rotor and trying to remove and place the ABS ring on the new disc assy. What I did is take a hack saw blade and split most of the ring that the ABS ring is pressed and loctite on to from inside two opposing holes ,then hit it with a heat gun to loosen the loctite and then pry off gently

Bob G
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Abs Ring Removal UPDATE !!!!!

Well I figured it out and it was EASY first I drilled eight 1/8 inch holes all around the hub just inside the ring to relieve the pressure. After all the rotor was going into the trash anyway. Then using my large 2 jaw puller I worked my way around and it popped right off. Then just pressed the ring on the EBC rotor a voila. Hey Wolfy you got new brakes how ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Re: Abs Ring Removal UPDATE !!!!!

katnapinn said:
Well I figured it out and it was EASY first I drilled eight 1/8 inch holes all around the hub just inside the ring to relieve the pressure. After all the rotor was going into the trash anyway. Then using my large 2 jaw puller I worked my way around and it popped right off. Then just pressed the ring on the EBC rotor a voila. Hey Wolfy you got new brakes how ;)
Now the secret is out that I am too old or too lazy (or both) to do my own work any longer... Thanks Stevie!!!!!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top