BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '01 had a plunger test failure. I sent it to Auto and Truck electronics in Tennesse. Received it in a week they replaced the circuit board. Did not work. Returned it and after 6 weeks of being jerked around via phone calls and e-mail i received it and it didn't work. Same fault code. I found out later another member had a similar experience. I wished i had known that, i spent 800 dollars and no abs brake. Maybe just my bad luck but i want to warn the members of this companies' incompetence. Ed Damico

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That other member would be me. Poor experience with ATE. Customer dis-service won't return phone calls or emails. Getting someone on the phone can be a REAL challenge. Then they don't know anything about the status of your particular electronic item, just that "it's on the bench and the tech is looking at it." They offer a 3 year prorated warranty for the repair and if they can't fix it, they'll refund your money, less this amount for this fee and that amount for that fee, and then the prorated warranty amount, which starts at day one and isn't divided by 36 equal months. So, the amount refunded is probably 2/3 to 3/4 of what you originally paid. Because of this, I dinged them on the BBB of TN. ATE answered my complaint and the BBB said ATE was acting properly. Funny thing is, ATE isn't a member of the BBB. Well, they weren't during the summer of '09. They might be now. Showed me how little the BBB actually does for consumers. Silly me, I thought the BBB was there to protect consumers from this kind of crappy company.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Lee510 said:
Showed me how little the BBB actually does for consumers. Silly me, I thought the BBB was there to protect consumers from this kind of crappy company.
Instead of using the Best Business Bureau go to www.badbusinessbureau.com, enter the name of the company and town and read up! Enlightening!

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
No No... That was ME... I sent my dead ABS to these folks and they kept working it over and over. They could not fix it. They never really gave me the run around but after two months of playing with it I said that's enough. They charged me $50 and sent it back.

THE ONLY FIX FOR THE INTEGRAL ABS SYSTEM IS TO PURCHASE A NEW OR USED WORKING UNIT... THEY CAN NOT BE REPAIRED!!!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Better Business Bureau.

Pack of worthless incompetents with a scam, zero leverage and good marketing.

Had an customer once with unreasonable expectations and demands who ended up involving the BBB. After trying to settle/solve things, ended up telling them both to go and pound sand.

Far better results if you paid by credit card and taking action that way by stopping/disputing the transaction.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
gunny said:
Far better results if you paid by credit card and taking action that way by stopping/disputing the transaction.
It would be if the low-down, bottom-feeders accepted credit cards. They take paypal and since paypal doesn't provide the service of the ABS unit, just handling the payment, the credit card company could do nothing. Paypal was no help either. Worthless. Just worthless.

I'm going to check out the bad business website. Too bad it isn't more widely known.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
tvguy said:
No No... That was ME...
Oops. My bad. Me too! I lost more than $50.00. More like $140.00. Ed had messaged me about ATE some time ago, so I assumed he was referring to me.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just looked at the warranty statement on Auto & Truck Electronics' website. They have added a bunch of words since my ABS unit was in their facility Dec. '08 and April '09. They added the part about having to purchase "the rebuild serviced part in question from a verifiable company" in order to get them to refund a payment.

Website also states, " If ASI . is unable to repair or replace the product (or If part is not rebuildable a core fee will be applied), a prorated refund will be processed." Then comes the part about having to prove you replaced their rebuilt part.

They have attempted enough BMW K1200LT ABS units to know they probably can't do anything with them. Why they keep taking them in for pretend repairs is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Ummm.... a self serving post yes, but the donor bike I have has an ABS unit...

~Just say'in!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The head technician e-mail asked if i was using dot-4 and did i flush and bleed the system and reset fault codes since i have a plunger test faulure code. DUH!!! dot-4 from new container, flush bleed system, reset codes twice. They apparently think i am as incompetent as they are. i ordered another abs unit today, the hell with this company!

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Lee510 said:
They have attempted enough BMW K1200LT ABS units to know they probably can't do anything with them. Why they keep taking them in for pretend repairs is beyond me.
Probably because people keep sending them bad units and money.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully the members here will read this thread and be forewarned. This company in my opinion is a definite ripoff

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Voyager said:
Probably because people keep sending them bad units and money.
I would expect that a business that was run by people with a conscience would admit that they probably could not repair the unit prior to it being sent in. They could charge an honest fee, $55.00 is what they charge for checking the unit on the bench, and if it was something they knew they couldn't repair, let the owner know and ship the unit back. They made an easy, honest $55.00 and don't have people angry with them. If they can repair the unit, they let the owner know that and he/she can decide to have them fix it or not. Of course this assumes a company is well-run and the execs, managers, workers, etc. all have a conscience and aren't in it just to make a quick buck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
If your fault is due to a stuck piston this may help ABS-2

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
Bummer - I feel your pain. Eventually we will all be there if we keep them long enough. At least you brakes still work - just no ABS.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Lee and I want every one to be warned about this company. Its a lot of time to change the abs unit, not particularly diffucult but time consuming.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
edmann said:
Yes, Lee and I want every one to be warned about this company. Its a lot of time to change the abs unit, not particularly diffucult but time consuming.
And having removed and installed mine, a replacement that wasn't for an LT, and mine again, I got quite good at tupperware removal/installation, bleeding brakes, and everything else that goes along with it. What fun, what fun! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts