BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
drew04 said:
I am going thru the agonizing process of alternating abs lights. I have done everything suggested on the site. I have a new rear abs sensor that I am picking up today to see if that is the problem.

Has anyone used this site for a remanufactured unit?

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1326

Thanks,

Drew
I have had contact with them. They are not up to speed on all BMW abs part numbers, but seemed interested in expanding their ability to do more in the motorcycle area. I would give them a call, it cant hurt.

·
Registered
832 Posts
drew04 said:
I am going thru the agonizing process of alternating abs lights. I have done everything suggested on the site. I have a new rear abs sensor that I am picking up today to see if that is the problem.

Has anyone used this site for a remanufactured unit?

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1326

Thanks,

Drew
I have had contact with them. They are not up to speed on all BMW abs part numbers, but seemed interested in expanding their ability to do more in the motorcycle area. I would give them a call, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I worked extensively with BBS Reman to assist them in trying to engineer the knowledge and processes required to service the ABS-II systems from the early K1200LTs.

This included going to the original manufacturer of the unit in germany -- FTE-kugelfischer -- to obtain tech data -- and supplying BBS with failed units to disassemble and investigate.

They were not successful in repairing my unit or any other units of which I am aware.

When I saw they were still advertising the service several years after that - I contacted them again to see if they had been successful where previously they had not been. At that time they admitted that they could not rebuild the units and that the service listing was 'a sample'.

In short, I personally invested a great deal of time in getting them to work with these units and they are neither a source for repair or particulary reliable or trustworthy, apparently. Other reman shops have also attempted these repairs and have had results that ranged from inconsistant to poor.

At this time, after flushing and resetting the unit, if it is still faulting your only option is a factory replacement, at least for ABS-II.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The cost of an abs control unit from the max bmw parts listing is over $ 2,000.
BBS is in the UK........ I have had poor experiences with almost ALL of the
businesses that I have dealt with in the UK.
Perhaps we'd have better luck with a local company like this http://www.modulemaster.com/en/wizard/index.php
Perhaps not.

It is really unfortunate that these faulty units cannot be repaired, and the cost of a new unit is quickly approaching the cost of an entire '99 or 2000 K1200LT

Rand.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You'll find a company in Rogersville, TN claiming to be able to repair them too. Auto and Truck Electronics offers a 3 year warranty on the repair. They pro-rate the warranty from day one, so if the unit fails during that time and they can't repair it (or give up on it), you get your money back, IF you buy a new replacement unit, less the pro-rated warranty fees, less $$ for this and $$ for that. When I had the 2000's unit worked on, they didn't have the buy a new unit stipulation, but I still lost close to $200.00. I dinged them on the BBB, but a lot of good that did.

BEWARE of companies claiming to rebuild the ABS II controllers. Best bet is to flush, flush, flush the lines, even the nipples on the ABS unit. Then try a reset, found here --> http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30942&highlight=abs+works Once I got my ABS unit back and installed, it worked up until the recent unpleasantness last November. I think what fixed mine was being banged around in the UPS trucks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Lee,
You have a valid point.
Flush out the system, including the unit itself, while at the same time, give the unit a little bit of a thump. (just to be sure)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,101 Posts
These units will not self reset after the fault is fixed like the Integral units do. So if you trouble shoot and the fault is "stuck piston" you may be able to dissassemble the piston area and clean it up. There was a link to that over on the ADV rider site.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I talked with all thoes people and could not find anyone who would rebuild mine. They would like to because they have a lot of people asking. I ended up paying $3600 for a new one from Atlanta BMW. No more worries. 2 year warranty. Had to bit the bullet.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am starting to believe that these ABS failures have surpassed the final drive failures. There seems to be dozens and dozens of them occurring.

·
Registered
637 Posts
kk610lt said:
I am starting to believe that these ABS failures have surpassed the final drive failures. There seems to be dozens and dozens of them occurring.
I have a hunch that a lot are misdiagnosed or peripheral to the ABS CPU, or simply mechanical/hydraulic problems caused by contamination. A better test station & procedure by someone could do wonders.

FD problems are more easily diagnosed and fixed with knowledgable TLC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies. I will not waste my time attempting a rebuild on the unit. I am remiss in stating that I have a 2004 LT. I believe it has the Integrated ABS. I use it as a daily driver and for touring. Topped off the fluids, new pc680 battery, adjusted the rear speed sensor.

I have not had the brakes flushed yet. I think I will take it to Hap's in Sarasota and have them do the flush. The light does not come on all the time. When I turn it on it runs the self test and the lights go off after I take off on the bike. The light only comes on after say 10-15 mins of riding. When it does come on I still have linked braking for sometime. If it does go to residual braking I can pull off the road and turn the ignition off and then back on and it all works again. Sometimes the lights will stay off and sometimes they don't after I turn the ignition off. Seems like it has to do with how hot it gets. Orlando BMW diagnosed the ABS pump a few months ago. However, it does not always go bad.

I only have $6,500 invested in the bike and really don't want to drop another $3k into it if I can avoid it.

Thanks again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,101 Posts
Now that we have the rest of the story (model year). The alternating flashing lights are almost always caused by low fluid in the dual reservoir under the rear seat. There are two chambers and they both have fluid level detectors that are very sensitive to a slightly low condition. Make sure you have both fully filled up and see if that does not fix the issue.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts