BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 bmw k1200lt. I let it sit for a couple months. When I went to crank it up my battery was dead. I bought another battery and now when I hook up the battery the abs module is constantly buzzing like when you mash the brakes. Keep in mind the key is in the off position. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can try? With the key in the on position it does the same thing. The only way to stop it is unhook the battery. It wasn't doing it before I parked it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks timmy

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 bmw k1200lt. I let it sit for a couple months. When I went to crank it up my battery was dead. I bought another battery and now when I hook up the battery the abs module is constantly buzzing like when you mash the brakes. Keep in mind the key is in the off position. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can try? With the key in the on position it does the same thing. The only way to stop it is unhook the battery. It wasn't doing it before I parked it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks timmy
Timmy,
I don't have that model with the servo brakes but have you checked to see if the brake lights are on? If one of the front or rear switches are stuck or miss-adjusted, it may cause the motor to continuallty run. Check for any rocks or something keeping the break pedal from returning to the normal resting place.

I don't know if a GS911 will show any faults related to this but if you can find one to borrow, it might give you some insight to what is happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't recall seeing any brake lights. This is happening with the key out of the motorcycle in the off position. Thanks timmy

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Starting a BMW with a bad battery is nasty business. I believe you have welded the contacts on the ABS relay, 61 36 2 306 526 ABS MOTOR RELAY due to low voltage start attempt. I hope this is all. Your servo system is old and in the failure zone. Minimum repair is 1000$ + labor, and that is sending the unit to Germany for a rebuild. Don't even ask the cost of a new one. I say all this as a caution to readers to be careful with their bikes and battery condition. Don't go more than a week or two with out charging up. :frown:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks. It sounds like the same thing. I'm going to get down to the abs unit and see what I can find. Any idea what all has to be removed to take module out? Thanks again

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Okay thanks. It sounds like the same thing. I'm going to get down to the abs unit and see what I can find. Any idea what all has to be removed to take module out? Thanks again
I don't have that model and have never removed it so I am of little help there. I would look carefully to see if the circuit board can be removed without removing the ABS module and having to bleed all the lines.

Hopefully someone who has done this can enlighten us on the possibility of board removal without removing the module. No idea if it is possible or not.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hey, thanks, I see the relay stopped in the 2000 model, the 03 is called Fully Intergral pressure modulator. So, I'm thinking as you, something on the internal side. And I bet the folks in Idaho can take care of it, which is good news, way cheaper.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
Hopefully someone who has done this can enlighten us on the possibility of board removal without removing the module. No idea if it is possible or not.
In a 2004 to 2001(late) the CCB is under the top cover on the unit right where the plug is so you should be able to remove it without removing the unit. It is held by 4 security Torx screws so you will need a T20 (or T15) with a central hole. You can get them at Harbour Freight.

Attachments

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have removed the fairings and I have my torque star bits with the hole. I'll be removing it tomorrow so I can send it to tyler at module masters. How exactly does the Electronic plug come outo of the module. Ithe looks like a clip on each side that u pushing with a screw driver or something but not 100% sure. Does anyone know when I remove the screws on the abs electronic board does it push in with pins or a cable or how do I remove the cover from the module? Thanks in advance. Timmy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to order a 5 star tamper proof bit off of amazon to remove the cover from the ABS Module. I didn't have to remove the module to take the cover off. It was a booger bear but I did it. There is 4 plugs and 2 computer like cables to unhook from the cover. Tyler at modulemaster.com was able to resolve the issue in 48 hours. I haven't actually rode the bike yet but the abs unit is not constantly running. I did crank the bike up and everything seems to be right. I still have to reinstall all the fairings and then I will be taking for a test ride. Can't speak highly enough about Tyler.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
Sounds like Tyler fixed you up just fine. Hope you get to test her out fully soon.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Starting a BMW with a bad battery is nasty business. I believe you have welded the contacts on the ABS relay, 61 36 2 306 526 ABS MOTOR RELAY due to low voltage start attempt. I hope this is all. Your servo system is old and in the failure zone. Minimum repair is 1000$ + labor, and that is sending the unit to Germany for a rebuild. Don't even ask the cost of a new one. I say all this as a caution to readers to be careful with their bikes and battery condition. Don't go more than a week or two with out charging up. :frown:
Yup...bought mine from a BMW dealer with a bad ABS...they spent mucho pesos fixing it...but stood behind the sale. Think there is some TX law that you can't sell a vehicle with lights aplenty. Bike only had 20K when I bought it and the ABS light went on the first time I dropped it. Added fluid and it went off (whew)! Almost wish I didn't have ABS and wish the bike weighed about 200 lbs less. Love it when it is above 20mph all the way to the top. Thought about trading for something lighter, but after buying a spare rear-end, and investing a bunch of bucks, just can't find anything else close for a long distance tourer. Once you get the kinks worked out, you'll love it. Kinda like dating Adele...she's gorgeous, but a bit chunky!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yup...bought mine from a BMW dealer with a bad ABS...they spent mucho pesos fixing it...but stood behind the sale. Think there is some TX law that you can't sell a vehicle with lights aplenty. Bike only had 20K when I bought it and the ABS light went on the first time I dropped it. Added fluid and it went off (whew)! Almost wish I didn't have ABS and wish the bike weighed about 200 lbs less. Love it when it is above 20mph all the way to the top. Thought about trading for something lighter, but after buying a spare rear-end, and investing a bunch of bucks, just can't find anything else close for a long distance tourer. Once you get the kinks worked out, you'll love it. Kinda like dating Adele...she's gorgeous, but a bit chunky!
I agree on your general description of troublesome issues. And absolutely agree with the comment of weight and comfort. There really is no better tourer for the $$. It's just so nice 2 up, or touring alone. That big girl can really dance and dip on mountain switchbacks. On the tail of the Dragon last year. I ride once a year with some freinds from down south and up north. We all get together and go to TN/ NC and ride like we stole our steeds. The 3 guys I was with are lets say very spirited, riders. I consider them advanced. Very good riders. They had a 2 minute headstart on the Dragon. I caught up to them. Working that wonderfully geared transmission and suspension on the LT. They were a little surprised upon seeing me in their mirrors. Also what I love is the LT loves high speed freeway too. It's sweet spot seems to be 85. And it could do it all day too..So.If the ABS should fail on my 04. I would bypass if need be. Of course repair if available would be 1st choice. But. What's she really worth now anyway? BTW. The Adele comparison is a good one. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts