BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer tells me that my Integrated ABS Module is/has failed. The pump motor itself has failed. It is not fluids that need flushing or filling. They want $3100 to repair it. $2750 for a new module and the rest for labor. The bike is a 2002 LTC with only 43,000 miles on it and in good condition all way around. Since the bike's value is probably around $3500 it does not make sense to spend this much money, but I can't sell it without the ABS. According to other threads, there are a couple of places that rebuild them. My Clymers manual says nothing about removal and installation or even where it is on the bike. Has anyone done this themselves before? Success with using a rebuilt module?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
If you search for Module Masters, you should find info on them. IIRC, they perform some rebuild services, but not sure what the scope of their offerings is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,948 Posts
This might be a solution. From a neighbor who posted on our club forum regarding his K1200GT Lot's of tongue in cheek comments about the fix, but it works!

"I had read on I-BMW.com that my “brake failure” light has become commonplace for the slant engine bikes (and someone in my local club says its also hitting the R1200R bikes).
It seems (as I read it) the problem is in the electric motor on the Integrated ABS 2 pump assembly. Carbon dust from the motor brushes gets trapped in the brush holders and prevents the brushes from advancing. When that happens, the brushes don’t make contact and you have no power to the motor and the computer says “brake failure” because the pump can’t run. SO, No ABS.

I verified via a friend's GS911 that I did have “no power to ABS pump motor”.
As I pondered the problem I called Module Masters to verify they COULD fix the problem and it is WELL known to them (they get about one unit each day for this problem). YEP, $250 and one week turnaround, you get YOUR unit repaired with a 5 year warranty.

Then that cheap guy that lives within me said, “If its dust and it just happened to get in there, then maybe I can get it out of where it shouldn’t be.” This morning I removed the left side body panel and applied a vibrator I have (NO don’t ask) to the motor section on the assembly. And I also tapped on the motor with a SMALL hammer [didn’t even chip any paint]. Then I Geared up, backed the bike out of the garage and started it.
Brake Failure light is FLASHING (GOOD sign).
Then I rode off and that light went OFF. Thank you I-BMW!

Now I have my ABS back again. If it fails again really soon, I’ll post again.
Otherwise I’m just gonna ride it!"

That post was three weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting solution to the ABS motor problem. Will have to try it. I have talked to Module Masters and without specifics they said they could repair the module. Now I have to figure out where it's at and if necessary get it out. Will try PM's solution first.

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Are there other symptoms? Here is part of my story. I had lost all speed related functions on my 2004 LT. Cruise, speedo, speed sensitive volume on radio, lights flashing on the dash. Dealer in North Carolina said ABS system. A guru from here hinted at a broken wire on the speed sensor from the rear final drive. I replaced that wire and all is like new again. I was looking at the same $3000 repair. Hope it turns out well for you as well.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,246 Posts
Paul,

You have the ABS II pump and only one motor. His is the integrated pump with two motors and as far as I have seen even MM has not repaired one of those yet.

But rwischmann, I would still call them and see what they say. Just be prepared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Module Masters says they have not repaired the Integral ABS yet. They have to get parts from Germany and it will be September before they could work on it. However Automotive Scientific out of Rogersville, TN says that they repair the ABS Module, but did not get any specifics between the type II or Integral. I need to follow up with more detail. Also got a full BMW Manual from Tradebit so now know where and how to remove the ABS unit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
rwischmann said:
Module Masters says they have not repaired the Integral ABS yet. They have to get parts from Germany and it will be September before they could work on it. However Automotive Scientific out of Rogersville, TN says that they repair the ABS Module, but did not get any specifics between the type II or Integral. I need to follow up with more detail. Also got a full BMW Manual from Tradebit so now know where and how to remove the ABS unit.
This is the first time I have heard of these folks, maybe someone else has. I would ask them if they have ever fixed one before and ask for a reference. An internet search shows no Web page but that does not mean they aren't good at what they do , just a small shop.
Proceed with caution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to a Tim at Autoecu.com which is the web name. The site looks legit and Tim says he has 2 years experience with rebuilting them. He claims to have done 2 today. He also said that he as motors in stock for the units. Price is $945.00 and turn around is 3-5 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Have a 2007 K1200LT with 17,000 miles on it. I bought it from a local dealer 3 months ago and put 315 miles on it. Today I brought it in for the ABS failure light and he tells me that the module is fried and it will be it $2,340. for the part and 6 hours of labor at $85. to fix it.
I told him to put it back together and I'll come and get it. I think I'll sell it( if I can) and go back to a Goldwing.
I am awfully disappointed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Okay, I know ABSectomy has been discussed and the consensus is that it makes the bike worth ~$0, but on the other hand how much is a bike worth that is not able to be ridden (i.e. integrated system is not functional and only residual braking is available). Is it really worth 50% of the value of the bike to have functioning ABS? I gotta think a couple custom lines from Speigler and 'conversion' to standard (bypass ABS system and go straight to the calipers), non-ABS brakes would make the bike useable, you just lose that extra margin of safety that many bikes do not have anyway. Of course one of the experts might know that this would not work but just a thought rattling in my head.

All right, I have my flack jacket, let the grenades fly :kaboom:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
captw3 said:
Have a 2007 K1200LT with 17,000 miles on it. I bought it from a local dealer 3 months ago and put 315 miles on it. Today I brought it in for the ABS failure light and he tells me that the module is fried and it will be it $2,340. for the part and 6 hours of labor at $85. to fix it.
I told him to put it back together and I'll come and get it. I think I'll sell it( if I can) and go back to a Goldwing.
I am awfully disappointed
Sorry to hear that. Surprised dealer did not off any sort of warranty since you just bought it and barely did a tank and a half on it.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,246 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Okay, I know ABSectomy has been discussed and the consensus is that it makes the bike worth ~$0, but on the other hand how much is a bike worth that is not able to be ridden (i.e. integrated system is not functional and only residual braking is available). Is it really worth 50% of the value of the bike to have functioning ABS? I gotta think a couple custom lines from Speigler and 'conversion' to standard (bypass ABS system and go straight to the calipers), non-ABS brakes would make the bike useable, you just lose that extra margin of safety that many bikes do not have anyway. Of course one of the experts might know that this would not work but just a thought rattling in my head.

All right, I have my flack jacket, let the grenades fly :kaboom:
No grenades from me. On a 2000 you have to do nothing at all to bypass the ABS as it is just a variable chamber type unit and when it is not working you will never know it until you lock up a wheel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Too bad BMW didn't offer the LT without ABS. Then it would just be a couple hundred bucks difference in the price when one fails. Anyway the difference between a used ABS Goldwing and a standard one isn't very much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
captw3 said:
Have a 2007 K1200LT with 17,000 miles on it. I bought it from a local dealer 3 months ago and put 315 miles on it. Today I brought it in for the ABS failure light and he tells me that the module is fried and it will be it $2,340. for the part and 6 hours of labor at $85. to fix it.
I told him to put it back together and I'll come and get it. I think I'll sell it( if I can) and go back to a Goldwing.
I am awfully disappointed
Just found an ABS that will work on your year on ebay for about $875. here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,339 Posts
I sent Randy, the OP, a PM warning him about the repair shop he referenced. I hope he hasn't sent his ABS unit to them. My experience with them was not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
jzeiler said:
No grenades from me. On a 2000 you have to do nothing at all to bypass the ABS as it is just a variable chamber type unit and when it is not working you will never know it until you lock up a wheel.
You're telling me, my '00 R1200C worked fine on startup, did the little clicky noise thing every day and the lights went off when I pulled away without fail. One day on my way home some fool darts in front of me on the freeway and slams on his brakes so I grabbed a handful and footstomp and the next thing I knew both tires were locked and the ABS started alternate blinking. Did the manual reset on the ABS started up okay when I rode away but ABS would not quite engage and again alternate blinking, did this a few times each time getting a little closer to ABS engaging and it started working again, now I exercise them daily and the ABS works great with no hesitation whatsoever.

Back to topic, wouldn't it be possible on an integrated system just to go straight from the master cylinder on the hand brake to the front calipers with a custom hose(s), and the same from the foot brake to the rear?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
731 Posts
Can you find a used unit??? I have a 2000 LT. I know the ABS is different than on the 02's. My ABS went out in 06, and I was able to find a used unit on EBAY. My friend Bill (billd on here) and I changed out the ABS unit ourselves. It was a real pain to get it out but putting it back in was fairly easy. I know the intregrated brakes are more complex, but changing it out wasn't too hard after we got the abs unit out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
copperstatetour Back to topic said:
exactly - the only issue is the diameter of the master cylinder diameter and the diameter of the pistons in the calipers - if the power brake models are the same size as the non power brake one then same braking - because of the power brakes they could be smaller which would change braking effect
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top