BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well peopleses, i thought i would never need to ask for help again. but here i am.

you ALL were wonderful as i learned my bike (2002 LT). i haven't tipped her over since. i have taken my wife out for a 2 up and had no problems. i can back her up. i can get her in and out of the garage successfully. i mean, you guys (and gals of course) worked wonders for me. THANK YOU!!.

houston i have a problem. i ran some errands today. i noticed my front brake got a bit
'mushy'. then it happened.

alternating caution and brake failure lights at 1 hz intervals (and one time 4 hz-then that went back to 1 hz).

now i have not done my due dilligence yet and resarched it here. but while i AM DOING THAT,

any thoughts? levels are both mid way in the windows when vertical and bars are straight.

thanks (I'm bummed 'cause i was thinking of taking a 3 hr ride out and 3 hour back tomorrow. i'm now afraid to do that.

:( :mad:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
A slow 1 Hz wig wag indicates low fluid. The reservoirs on the handle bars are NOT monitored only the dual chambered reservoir under the pillion seat. Open both caps and add DOT 4 fluid until they are full. That should eliminate the slow wig wag. Just watch for the fast one as that can be battery related as well as the ABS unit itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay el estupido me. how do you access the reservoirs under the seat? (that's the pillion which is the passenger seat, right?)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
mycamel said:
okay el estupido me. how do you access the reservoirs under the seat? (that's the pillion which is the passenger seat, right?)
Open the rider seat, look down at the front left and right corners of the pillion. You will see the heads of the bolts that hold the seat in place. Remove those and lift the seat, if the seat is heated be careful of the wires, disconnect at the cable connector. If you look down to the right (facing front of bike) you will see the tops reserviors. HTH

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks John. i saw them. i suspected but didn't have the .........hm....... to just jump in. and yes they're heated so i will take even more care.

thanks [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
Simple formula for this one:

Mushy brakes = leaks = all of a sudden low reservoirs = brake light wig wags

As others have said look for fluid on the ground somewhere :rolleyes:

Low reservoirs causes wig wag lights but not always mushy brakes!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Attending a tech session or 2, even hosting one for a fluid change session helped me enormously as I still try to get up to speed on the LT. Get in there, it's just mechanical, nothing a good shop can't undo. :D

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Found the two reservoirs in line, on right side as u face front (starboard) side under front of pass (pillion?) seat. Access was blocked by side panel. Didn't get it removed-there must be 1-2 more screws somewhere, but removed the two that were immediately visible. I found the reservoir toward the back (stern) was low by a couple of oz. Filled and All is okay.

which is the rear reservoir and which is the front (I know-----the front is the 'other' one :) and the rear is the 'other' one :) )

Why it was low is another question. Remember I got from a wrench so I have to trust all was filled when I got it. But who knows? he had replaced the front brakes just before i got it.

i see NO leaks anywhere. maybe could have had an air bubble somewehre after 2 months is shows up?

as a note, just before i got the flashing lights, (5-10 minutes maybe), i stalled at a stop light, right turn. and had to hard brake once, just after that. i'm hoping they're related.

So again I owe all of you!!! Doggone it ....thanks y'all. :wave
My camel

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have found the source of the problem (I think).

there's a wet spot (pun) on the ground in the front and brake fluid appears to be around the radiator etc.

i'm not any kind of wrench. could it be just in need of a hose replacement? it's too hard to see where the problem starts.

should l just take it to the dealer (read expensive)?

thought as to where it could be leaking from (the hose on the left side (port side) looks like it could be where the leak starts but how do i find that out?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Other than pads I've never felt comfortable doing bleeding or flushing of brakes or brake work on anyone else's vehicle. Advice sure. Mushy front brakes is a leak, not low fluid. Mine was leaking and I kept wondering where the fluid was going. DUH! But my fluid never got low enough for the wig wag until I flushed the system. :confused:

It's quite likely the front brake line somewhere between the "T" and the top and the steel tubing near the caliper. The line is also sheathed in rubber tubing so it's near impossible to find it as it is. The line and 4 washers is about $122.00. Then you'd need the supplies to do the flushing because once you replace the line you will have to bleed & flush. If you're mechanically inclined it can all be done with a helper. If not, someone more versed than me or the dealer. I think the dealer had told someone like $400.00 for the job, but notice how much is parts. You're between 2 dealers so you can shop one against the other. That price is for the BMW OEM part. Spieglers are more and are braided steel lines.

Your line will look like this inside (give it second to get to the pic): http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-1218

Oh and this isn't going to make any sense but the reservoir towards the rear of the bike is for the front brakes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good gosh. you've hit the hale on the nead.

just called both dealers. Blue Moon (my preference) wants me to replace all with 'speigler'(??) hoses at one time total cost will be over $800. single hose-their price-~$175 plus whatever labor.

delivery on hoses is 1 weeks and the bike obviously needs to be stripped and hoses installed all around (5 of them).

service writer says they're seeing some back lines failing as well as the front.

any thoughts anyone?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.