BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice while riding when the temperature is in the 30s that the ABS warning lights stay on (flashing) until the outside temperature warms up. Is this a warning sign of a serious problem? Thanks

Golfdoc
2001 K1200LT

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
A cold weather weakened battery could be the cause of the ABS throwing a fault. When the battery warms it could become strong enough for the ABS to play nice again.
Just a guess on my part since I believe that's also happening to my ABS and that my battery needs replacing. That's what my mechanic thinks, anyway.

Jer

·
Registered
832 Posts
jers99lt said:
A cold weather weakened battery could be the cause of the ABS throwing a fault. When the battery warms it could become strong enough for the ABS to play nice again.
Just a guess on my part since I believe that's also happening to my ABS and that my battery needs replacing. That's what my mechanic thinks, anyway.

Jer
Prolly should have fault codes read. My GSA needs a new ABS pump. $2200.00

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep the battery on a Battery tender since I bought a new battery about 9 months ago. It should not be the battery.

I flushed the brakes and replaced the pads about 8 months ago (10000 miles of riding). I checked the reservoirs and add some brake fluid even though they did not need it.

Thanks

Golfdoc aka Elgin

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Mine was doing that until I replaced the battery. You might have gotten a lemon for a battery or a connection may have come loose. My battery finally broke the terminal connection inside the case and no more brake lamp sets after it was replaced. It was made in Vietnam. I don't remember the brand name, nothing but Odyssey or Yuasa for me now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,120 Posts
If yours is a late 2001 with the Integral ABS, that two chambered rear reservoir is notorious for setting a fault when it is just a smidge low on fluid. They look full but adding an ounce or less will stop the fault.

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 on checking the rear reservoir. That thing is very sensitive to level.

·
Registered
607 Posts
jzeiler said:
If yours is a late 2001 with the Integral ABS, that two chambered rear reservoir is notorious for setting a fault when it is just a smidge low on fluid. They look full but adding an ounce or less will stop the fault.

My 2005 does that too, around 38 Deg. But my battery is also week now.

John, don't worn our rear brake pads cause the fluid level to drop a little bit, thereby causing the lights to flash?

I plan to replace the rear pads before buying a new battery for now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,120 Posts
GlennM86 said:
John, don't worn our rear brake pads cause the fluid level to drop a little bit, thereby causing the lights to flash?

I plan to replace the rear pads before buying a new battery for now.
Yes. The 05 and up will give you a good worn pad indication if the level in the reservoirs was set when the pistons were fully retracted. The old ones (2001-2004) you had to add fluid often as the pads wore because they were more sensitive to the fluid level. Thus they were not a good indicator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts