BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an '09 K1200LT with 2,800 miles on her. Everything works great as far as I know. I've only put 150 miles on her so I'm still feeling her out. One thing I noticed is that when I start her the ABS Light remains flashing. Once I start moving it goes out and stays out. The fluid levels look full. Is this normal? I've searched the forums and haven't found anything like this yet. Thanks...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Ops normal. That is the ABS going through a self test and it needs the wheel rotation for the lights to stop flashing. Ride it like ya stole it!

And welcome to our corner of the Web!

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
+ 2.....

Totally normal behaviour, now get out and ride her.

One more point, around 4-4500 rpm she will vibrate and you will grin :rotf:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Normal behavior. That's what the dealer told me when I bought my 09.
As for the vibration I don't really feel any vibration (came off a Harley). It does pull like a freight train starting at 4000 RPM's. Keeps on pulling all the way to redline. I have the hardest time riding the speed limit on this bike. It is so smooth and deceptive as to your actual rate of travel. Have been running down the super slab listening to the stereo, look down and see triple digits. I am amazed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That vibration, on mine, is around 5000 rpm. We call it K-whine. Goes away either above or below that range. Perfectly normal. Let's you know you're entering the "fun" range on the tach!! Have a ball!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Johnny, you have come to the right place to find everything about your LT. :wave

While riding it like you stole it, be careful if you cross from West By God Virginia to Ole Virginia, the state has put on more LEOs and is on a big revenue collecting push :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping it was something 'normal'. I just need to get use to her idiosyncrasies. I thought the ST1300 was top heavy. I think this girl has her beat. I'm looking forward to my first long trip to see how she really handles. I also need to find someone that likes to ride her with me. My SO doesn't ride so she let's me give others rides. Am I lucky or what? :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
On another note, there are two self tests performed at start up in the brake system. Watch next time. First is a rapid flash then the normal flash. Hold the brake lever next time and you will see the rapid flash remain for as long as you hold the brake lever. Then it will switch to slow flash, it has completed the first half of the check. It cannot complete this test until the brakes are fully released. If you have to start the bike on a hill, leave it in gear to hold the bike when you turn on the key. Once the self test first phase completes (slow flash) you can now use the brakes to hold the bike while you start it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Welcome.....................you're going to love this site for info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALWAYS leave it in first gear when parking using the side stand AND I like to role it forward against the engine before leaning it over on the side stand. Of course yours has a power center stand which I hear is pretty handy on level ground.

They told me here on this site to "ride it like I stole it" and I've really tried to comply. LOL

YeeHaa! :bmw:

·
Registered
498 Posts
vernvernvern said:
ALWAYS leave it in first gear when parking using the side stand AND I like to role it forward against the engine before leaning it over on the side stand. Of course yours has a power center stand which I hear is pretty handy on level ground.

YeeHaa! :bmw:
If you keep it on the side stand, you will get more smoke at startup! :kaboom:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
If you keep it on the side stand, you will get more smoke at startup! :kaboom:
Sometimes you'll get smoke, depends on how you shut it down if you center the bike or lean it slightly to the right and then shut it down and wait a few moments its rare she'll smoke at startup

·
Registered
270 Posts
RiderRay said:
That vibration, on mine, is around 5000 rpm. We call it K-whine. Goes away either above or below that range. Perfectly normal. Let's you know you're entering the "fun" range on the tach!! Have a ball!

That vibration is on the older Lt's ( 1999 thru 2004 ), he has a 2009 so there should be no vibration at those rpm's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts