BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2005 1200rt, purchased the bike in January and the ABS light would go out when the bike started moving. I completed a brake system flush and all seemed good. When I got the bike out last week the ABS light and warning signal we flashing once per second. I hooked up my GS911 and it says the fault is low fluid level. I have checked all four reservoirs and they are all filled to max. If I erase the code then it just comes back. Riding the bike the ABS system is working perfectly. Has anyone come across this problem before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check both fluid level sensor connections on top of the brake module. They both should be closed circuit and are wired in series. If either is open (with adequate fluid) this will signal the fluid level fault. Brake fluid sensor failures are fairly rare. I would check the sensor continuity and connector condition.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check for rat damage if the bike was stored over the winter in a shed or barn. Could be a cut wire.

Also, if you got air in the system you may need to bleed the main ABS unit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wires look good, no rodent damage.

Gr8ridn

Thanks for the tip I will check it out, it gives me something to go on.
Nice to know the sensors are reliable and how they are wired.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Your year bike has a complicated ABS/brake servo system. The bleed procedure is not for the faint of heart. You do not mention if you are knowledgeable of the servo bleed technique. I don't want to offend but here it is. If not followed, it can lead to the situation you are in.
http://www.beachbus.net/BMW/diy/Bleed_Wheel_Circuits.htm
http://www.beachbus.net/BMW/diy/Bleed_Control_Circuit.htm
As you can see there are two circuits for each end of the bike, total of four systems to bleed (with 4 fluid levels to maintain and check). It can be done by the home mechanic but it benefits to have a GS-911 to do the bleed pressure test after you have completed everything. I have done it with out the 911 test and there is no problem if you never let any air into the systems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved ;)

First I just want to say thanks for all of your replies.

When flushing the brake system I had removed the main abs computer plug.
When everything went together for some reason the fluid level sensor circuit didn't make a good contact. Removed the plug and reinstalled and all is good.

Thanks again Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.