BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ol' gurl decided to lay down when backing out of the garage last night right before work. I got her back upright and took off down the road and the ABS lights were flashing. I stoped at the end of my road and came back to take the jeep instead. Is there a quick fix for this? I haven't been back on her yet. Had to get sleep (3rd shifter) TIA

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check the brake fluid reservoir located under your saddle for proper fluid level. The reservoir has 2 compartments. Check BOTH.

ABS lights will flash if fluid level is low. Check both as they each have a level sensor .

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
+1 on checking the rear reservoir. Lower fluid level can be achieved in one of 3 ways:
  1. Pads get thin from normal wear
  2. Fluid escaped when the bike gets dropped
  3. Leak from a hydraulic line or connector
Your case is most likely #2, however you may also want to check your pads for thickness.
If you refill the reservoir and later replace your pads be mindful of the extra fluid in the system and remove some of it with a turkey baster, or similar device, BEFORE pushing your pistons back in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
also if the back wheel left the ground and still spinning, it will cause the abs lights to flash. This happened to me once and the abs had to be reset by dealer. However now we have gs-911.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the help! It was a bit low on brake fluid. Things have been hecktic and today was the first chance to get back to this. Help like this makes this the best motorcycle site on the web.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
Thanks for posting the final results as that always helps close the loop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts