BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2000 lt with 13M miles the ABS is flashing did a flush and still flash. is it safe to ride the bike with ABS flashing brakes seems to be working great

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It is safe to ride until you need the ABS the first time. The brakes will work the same but when a wheel stops spinning(locks up as on sand or gravel) the ABS won't modulate the applied pressure and the wheel will stay locked up. Just like every other motorcycle you have likely owned.

Loren

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so without ABS brakes works like any other bike brake system. is not that the brakes will stop working on me

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
printman said:
so without ABS brakes works like any other bike brake system. is not that the brakes will stop working on me
That's correct.

Jer

·
Registered
45 Posts
After changing the brake fluid, you have to reset the fault as described in other posts and yes it works. You have to be patient and ground the reset wire properly.
Don't let the dealer talk you into a new ABS unit until you have tried to reset it your self. It will save you a lot of dollars and grief!

·
Registered
255 Posts
the 2000 does not monitor the brake reserviors so a brake fluid flush will not clear a fault code. You have to find out what the fault code is and correct it then that fault code must be cleared.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Unlike with the servo assist system on some of the newer bikes, the brakes still work great, just not the ABS. If you know someone with a 911 code reader, you can clear the code much easier. I am told it is possible to rebuild the ABS unit on the 99-01, and there is at least one company who does it fairly reasonably. My ABS has been out on my 2000 LT for the last 25000 miles. I bought a used unit on ebay, and plan on changing it sometime in the near future. If the works out, I am going to try to get my old one rebuilt.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is a company in tennesee that claims to rebuild the abs units on the LT. However some members on this forum have had horrible experiences with these people. We do not recommend going through this company!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts