BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Fellas,
I have searched but not found my actual problem. When my 2000LT has been sitting overnight the ABS faults when I take off. I have fitted switches to enable me to reset the fault quickly then when I take off this time no fault. If the bike is ridden and left for several hours still no fault on take off. However when left overnight the same scenario takes place. Have checked the code and it is blaming the ABS unit naturally $$$$!. One other thing, I connected a battery charger overnight and the next start did not have a fault. This has only happened once. Since then even after charger is on overnight and battery shows as fully charged still get fault on first take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ross

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You may need a new battery. The ABS relies on a hydraulic pump to function and the system will set a fault when the battery gets weak, even when it's been on a charger overnight. The other thing to try is a good brake system flush, but what you describe sure sounds like a weak battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know it doesn't sound plausable, but it probably is your battery. I had the same problem with my RT. The battery seemed fine, cranked strong and started fine but was throwing an ABS fault. Several people suggested the battery problem but I didn't believe it so I went through a bunch of other things. I finally replaced the perfectly good battery and the ABS fault went away permenantly. Go figure.

·
Registered
975 Posts
rosgeog said:
OK Fellas,
I have searched but not found my actual problem. When my 2000LT has been sitting overnight the ABS faults when I take off. I have fitted switches to enable me to reset the fault quickly then when I take off this time no fault. If the bike is ridden and left for several hours still no fault on take off. However when left overnight the same scenario takes place. Have checked the code and it is blaming the ABS unit naturally $$$$!. One other thing, I connected a battery charger overnight and the next start did not have a fault. This has only happened once. Since then even after charger is on overnight and battery shows as fully charged still get fault on first take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ross
You might also want to check the level of the fluids in the rear reservoirs ("under the seat"). These are touchy and will create a fault that seems to come and go (well, that was MY problem - ABS fault on first ride in the morning, but no issues later in the day).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a similar problem when my battery was down and the bike would barely start. After a lengthy ride, abs light no longer stayed on after restart. If it is getting to this stage just sitting overnight, I would also suspect the battery. A battery tender or overnight charging may keep you going until you get a new battery.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
My vote is the battery. There is no fluid level monitoring on the ABSII bikes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How old is your battery? What type battery do you have AGM, GEL, or Flooded? Sure sounds like a battery problem to me. Try putting a good charger on it instead of a tender and bring up to a full charge. Or, just spring for a new battery and replace the old one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
dido on the fluid level on the abs module under the seat, not the resevores. I back filled the unit by forcing fluid into the bleeders on the calipers. that cured mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses and here is a group reply.
The battery is BMW sealed so not sure if it is AGM or not I expect not. Using a CTEK charger not just a tender and after the reset of fault have no problem if bike is left for 2-3 hours but it faults if started after 12 hours. I work 12 hour shifts. Battery life is unknown, have had bike since last November. Only had 20,400K for a 2000 model. Now has 31,200K so I will spring for a new battery and let you know the results.
Thanks again.
Ross
:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Weak battery is my vote as well. Your's is a 2000, i.e. not the integrated, assisted, brakes. Here's how it was explained to me. The ABS processor goes through a self test each start up as noted by flashing brake light with key on, which normally goes out after you start and roll a few feet. The processor is looking for sensor signals from the wheels, etc and the diagnostic is completed as signified by the light stopping flashing.

When the battery is getting weak, the pull down on battery power from the start cycle results in a lower voltage on the system than necessary for the ABS to go on line. Hence, the warning light keeps flashing.

Ride a while and the alternator brings the battery up from the post start low voltage, and the processor will come on line the next time the bike is started.

This same thing happens on RT's, and other BMW's of this same vintage. If the ABS light stays on post start, but goes out after riding say 20 miles and then restart......weak battery.

Older hands around here may be able to critique the above or explain it better.

Jeff D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who reckoned it was the battery. Pulled the old one and it was an '06 battery. Had one from my RT on the bench that holds it's charge quite well and that is an '07 fitted that and have had three starts so far with no ABS fault. That is after sitting for more than 12 hours at work. When at home it is on battery tender. New battery on the way.
Thanks again.
Ross
:wave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts