BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the F tire on the '00 K12LT; shortly thereafter, got the dreaded wig-wag ABS lights. Checked fluid levels, sensor gaps, etc; all in order.
I did go up one size, from a 120/70 to the 130/70 (Avon, had good svc w/them) has same speed rating (V) but higher weight rating. Only marginally wider, but also slightly larger in circumference. Seems to be around 2-2.25".
I'm wondering if this difference in circumference would cause an ABS fault.
Anybody???.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
I will bet odds that is what is causing your issue. No interference with the fork tubes on the larger tire? Also none of your reservoirs are monitored for fluid level on a 2000. May have altered the gap on the wheel sensor when you had the wheel off. Either way after you fix it you will need to reset the ABS unit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the more experienced folks here have to say, but I am thinking that the circumference is NOT the issue. Consider the fact that a worn out tire vs. a new tire, even the same size, will have quite a variance in circumference.
I also find it interesting that I had the exact same scenario a month ago when I installed a new front tire. In the process of opening the calipers to allow clearance in getting the wheel out, brake fluid backflowed out the overflow tube that drains near the bottom end of rear shock. A few days later, the brake failure light started flashing. It finally turned out to be a rear wheel sensor failure. See this thread... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68740
This was my story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No interference w/ fork tubes; appears to be plenty of clearance. I just this am did the procedure to determine the fault code; it's showing me six "pulses" of the meter which is "ABS RELAY"....I guess the next step is to find IT and mess around with same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts